Thermionic problem

PKRPedals

I need some help with my Thermionic OD. Just finished it and it has a crazy amount of noise and squealing. The D1 diode is getting really hot also. At first, the LED just below R34 would light up with 9 volt supply connected but now it doesn't. I've checked all caps and resistors, they are all good. Also checked for any solder bridges and there are none. Any ideas?

Yep anode is square holes on these guys, but that wouldn’t do much to your protection diode. Can you take a pic of the bottom side as well? And your jack wiring as well would help. There’s gotta be a short somewhere or you’ve got a bad diode.

I have looked this thing over and over and can't see anything weird. I don't see any solder bridges or anything touching something else. The only thing I noticed getting hot is the 1N5817 in D1.

Take a real good look at R32 and R33. Are they 10K or 10R? I can't tell by looking at your pic, lighting is too dark.

As long as LED1 - LED4 are all backwards, the circuit will work they way it is supposed to work, no need to reverse them. LED5 needs to face the correct way or it won't light up. Read This.

Led 5 lights up. I have the other led’s in correctly according to pedalpcb. They are reversed from the build doc on the board revision that I have. The resistors are also correct, I went back and measured each one to make sure I didn’t make a mistake there. I don’t know what is happening with this thing

Measure the voltage (w.r.t. ground) on each side of D1 with power on. If the cathode side is at or near 0V, then you have a hard short to ground. If it's between 0.5V and 3V, try pulling the ICs out of the sockets (with the power off), then power up and measure again.

Thank you. After going back and looking at it again, you're correct. Every 10K resistor is a 10R. I accidentally put 10R resistors in my 10K drawer and that's the ones I grabbed. R30 is correct though, it's a 10R. Man do I feel stupid. When I measured R32 and R33, I saw 10 and just automatically saw 10K instead of 10ohm. I ordered another board because I don't feel like trying to get all of these out and replaced. Thanks again for the help.

Back