This Week on the Breadboard - Tomorrow Never Knows (modd'ed Dr. Robert)

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
More like this month on the breadboard. I struggled with this one for a while. Dan's demo showed us what a Dr. Robert is supposed to sound like and that provided the guidance I sorely needed. The goal of this mod was to:
  • Ditch the charge pump
  • Have just one stomp switch
  • Bring the BASS, TREBLE & BOOST controls to the front panel
  • Make something that would fit into a 125B box
Here's the breadboard. Once the design has had a chance to mature a little bit, I'll post the schematic. It stayed pretty close to the Vox UL730 & Dr. Robert designs, with a few component tweaks here and there. I adjusted the three tone controls to get a little less interaction. The MIDS scoop is the same, but we lose less treble when MIDS is turned down. I replaced the Mach Schau switch with a Mach Schau knob that lets us sweep the gain of the ouput stage from "Normal Channel" to "Mach Schau" and a little beyond. That knob is essentially the Boost trimmer mounted on the front panel. Most of the work I did was to get the output stage to behave the way I thought it should. I used 2SK193's but any JFET with Vp around -1.0V to -1.5V should work.

Knobs, L-R: VOLUME, MACH SCHAU, TREBLE, MIDS, BASS, GAIN

You can see some candidate JFETs scattered around the bottom of the pic along with three 2N2222As that were kicked to the curb for being too noisy. I eventually installed 2N5089s for Q1-Q3 and the hiss went away. With a 9V rail, there is just as much gain and the output is just as loud as the Dr. Robert.

TNK breadboard 01.jpg

Very rad! I’ll have to check this out

Already requested it in the wishlist section:

More like this month on the breadboard. I struggled with this one for a while. Dan's demo showed us what a Dr. Robert is supposed to sound like and that provided the guidance I sorely needed. The goal of this mod was to:
  • Ditch the charge pump
  • Have just one stomp switch
  • Bring the BASS, TREBLE & BOOST controls to the front panel
  • Make something that would fit into a 125B box
Here's the breadboard. Once the design has had a chance to mature a little bit, I'll post the schematic. It stayed pretty close to the Vox UL730 & Dr. Robert designs, with a few component tweaks here and there. I adjusted the three tone controls to get a little less interaction. The MIDS scoop is the same, but we lose less treble when MIDS is turned down. I replaced the Mach Schau switch with a Mach Schau knob that lets us sweep the gain of the ouput stage from "Normal Channel" to "Mach Schau" and a little beyond. That knob is essentially the Boost trimmer mounted on the front panel. Most of the work I did was to get the output stage to behave the way I thought it should. I used 2SK193's but any JFET with Vp around -1.0V to -1.5V should work.

Knobs, L-R: VOLUME, MACH SCHAU, TREBLE, MIDS, BASS, GAIN

You can see some candidate JFETs scattered around the bottom of the pic along with three 2N2222As that were kicked to the curb for being too noisy. I eventually installed 2N5089s for Q1-Q3 and the hiss went away. With a 9V rail, there is just as much gain and the output is just as loud as the Dr. Robert.

View attachment 22048
Somethin' like This:
Pharmacist Boneyard Mockup Pedal.jpg

Last edited:
OK, I'm done! The one on the left sounds like the one on the right. I've concluded that the Dr. Robert is mainly an EQ and a boost. Sure, you can get some dirt in Mach Schau mode, but most of the sweet distortion you hear in Dan's demo comes from Dr. Robert overdriving his amp.

Robert & Robert 02.jpg

I figured a few things out, thanks to Dan loaning me his Walrus pedal. End-to-end gain and output levels are very similar for both units. The TNK actually goes louder than Dr. Robert, particularly when BOOST is cranked. I took a few parts out, changed several parts and added two parts: TR1 & C40. C40 is silver mica, all the rest are film or aluminum electrolytic. No more charge pump, no more aluminum caps in the signal path. Q1-Q3 can be your favorite NPN Si transistor. 2N2222 can get noisy. MPSA18, 2N5088/89, BC549C or BC550C are good subs. Or go with BC109C if you want the vintage look of a metal can transistor. Use the JFETs of your choice, just shoot for Vp around -1.5V. I adjusted the trimmer to get 4.5V on Q7-S with BOOST at noon. Dr. Robert v1 had two trimmers that are not present in V2. I suspect they did what this trimmer does. Dr. Robert uses 1M resistors for R32 & R33. Those interact with Q6's gate-drain capacitance to roll-off the top end. That capacitance varies a LOT from one JFET to the next, so I installed C40 and reduced R32 & R33 so that the treble roll-off is more predictable. The first stage gain in the Dr. Robert is low, about 9dB, so I left that alone. I cut the gain of the 2nd stage by 6dB so we don't run out of headroom. I cut the gain of the 3rd stage by another 6dB for the same reason. The lost gain is recovered after the output stage because unlike the Dr. Robert, I don't cut the signal down by 11dB between Q7 and the VOLUME control.

I'm not suggesting you do all this stuff to the Dr. Robert; it's a great sounding pedal. This mod is something I did for Cooder because he wanted a modd'ed Dr. Robert design. A big part of the Dr. Robert's marketing is it's sold as a carbon-copy of the Vox UL730 preamp's clean channel. What I did kinda deviates from that, although the differences are subtle and mostly have to do with reducing the tone control interactions. Since the JFET output stage makes the lion's share of the distortion, I think it's entirely possible to replicate the freq response using opamps for the first two stages and let the JFET output stage do the rest.

Tomorrow Never Knows v2.0.png

Here's the signal with GAIN, TREBLE, MIDS & BASS at noon, VOL dimed, BOOST at zero. Green trace is the input from the bridge pickup (Fender Tex-Mex) on my Strat. Low E chord with a moderate strength strum. Blue trace is the output. This is pushing the limit of the max clean signal you can get out. 4.25Vp-p is more than enough to overdrive your favorite amp! Both TNK & Dr. Robert make 3Vp-p without a hint of distortion. Above that, you start to get some 2nd and then 3rd harmonic in the output stage on both units.

LabNation_Screenshot20.png

Here's the most signal and distortion you can get out of the TNK. TREBLE, MIDS & BASS at noon, GAIN, BOOST & VOL dimed. Clipping is very evident. This is almost twice the output you can get from a Dr. Robert. Backing off of the GAIN and/or BOOST smooths out the distortion. If this is not enough dirt, then lower R35 to 220Ω or 100Ω.

LabNation_Screenshot21.png

Last edited:
OK, I'm done! The one on the left sounds like the one on the right. I've concluded that the Dr. Robert is mainly an EQ and a boost. Sure, you can get some dirt in Mach Schau mode, but most of the sweet distortion you hear in Dan's demo comes from Dr. Robert overdriving his amp.
Hey. I know this is old but are you saying that I should expect no gain on the pharmacist overdrive unless ms is engaged?

I watched Dans video and can hear lots of gain but you are saying that’s his amp and not the pedal?

That is good to hear. I made this recently and have Ben disappointed with gain without the boost. I assumed I had made a mistake. I still might try those mods you suggested another post.

Hey. I know this is old but are you saying that I should expect no gain on the pharmacist overdrive unless ms is engaged?

I watched Dans video and can hear lots of gain but you are saying that’s his amp and not the pedal?

That is good to hear. I made this recently and have Ben disappointed with gain without the boost. I assumed I had made a mistake. I still might try those mods you suggested another post.
I'm saying that the Clean channel is just that, clean. It has gain, but it's clean gain. The MS channel can be overdriven, depending on how the internal trimmer is set.

When I say "gain," I mean it in the engineering sense. Gain is amplification. Lotta guitar players equate dirt with gain. They are not the same thing. We can have dirt but no gain, or gain but no dirt. Or we can use gain to make dirt. In Dan's demo, he uses the clean channel gain to make his guitar signal big enough to overdrive his tube amp. The pedal and the amp work together to make that sweet distortion, but to be clear, the distortion occurs within the amp, not the pedal.

EDIT:
Before you make mods, try turning your amp up. You might have to wait until you have the house to yourself. Or get an attenuator that lets you run the amp at high volume without running the speakers at high volume.

Last edited:
I'm saying that the Clean channel is just that, clean. It has gain, but it's clean gain. The MS channel can be overdriven, depending on how the internal trimmer is set.

When I say "gain," I mean it in the engineering sense. Gain is amplification. Lotta guitar players equate dirt with gain. They are not the same thing. We can have dirt but no gain, or gain but no dirt. Or we can use gain to make dirt. In Dan's demo, he uses the clean channel gain to make his guitar signal big enough to overdrive his tube amp. The pedal and the amp work together to make that sweet distortion, but to be clear, the distortion occurs within the amp, not the pedal.

EDIT:
Before you make mods, try turning your amp up. You might have to wait until you have the house to yourself. Or get an attenuator that lets you run the amp at high volume without running the speakers at high volume.
Thanks for this.

I pulled the pedal out again today as I had shelved it thinking I had made a mistake. There was some issue as outlined in the post here. I managed to solve tho biasing issue by putting a 470k resistor between collector and base of q2.

The pedal sounded quite good today actually and you are right, there is more distortion when played at louder volumes (still haven't had a chance to crank the amp).

Although I still have the sneaking suspicion that it should have more distortion than what I'm getting. Maybe it's just my expectations or maybe there is an unresolved issue.

Before the transistor adjustment mentioned above, I jumpered R13 and R16 and got the sound in the video here with plenty of distortion. However this fix only worked for an hour

I don't have a video of the current sound but it's nothing like the vide above and just a clean sound that is slightly crunchy at louder volumes with gain at max.

So admittedly this took awhile to get in the box, because everything I had was in boxes for awhile... haha...
Now with workshop up and running I finally got around to put this together, after asking Chuck more than a year ago to come up with this schematic (Cheers Sir Chuck).
Revolver is in the box, sounding great.

zmC3PVK.jpg

5QUE7je.jpg

zkOz77u.jpg

sRMWjwO.jpg

So admittedly this took awhile to get in the box, because everything I had was in boxes for awhile... haha...
Now with workshop up and running I finally got around to put this together, after asking Chuck more than a year ago to come up with this schematic (Cheers Sir Chuck).
Revolver is in the box, sounding great.

zmC3PVK.jpg

5QUE7je.jpg

zkOz77u.jpg

sRMWjwO.jpg
This is absolutely awesome looking, and I bet sounding too. I’m way too into Beatles themed pedals 😅

What are the deets on this?

This is absolutely awesome looking, and I bet sounding too. I’m way too into Beatles themed pedals 😅

What are the deets on this?

Back