SOLVED Ticking on dark rift delay using Rate knob

Hello ,

I switched to the 1nf cap in c1, but i still have clicking on when using the rate knob. Any idea what could be causing this. All other functionality normal .

Ya I only have a picture before I put c1 in. I tried both capacitor values in c1. Right now it has the 1nf in it.

I can tell you the ticking only happens when using the rate knob

I don’t have any pictures of the other side right now but can get some later

Attachments

• 07588384-A385-42D7-96FD-C89F6A2CD083.jpeg
    07588384-A385-42D7-96FD-C89F6A2CD083.jpeg
    668.7 KB · Views: 56
  • DB78A3A3-3B20-4C2B-A21F-ACEC47FD16EE.jpeg
    DB78A3A3-3B20-4C2B-A21F-ACEC47FD16EE.jpeg
    481.7 KB · Views: 53
I don't think making C1 larger is the way to cure LFO ticking. First thing I recommend is removing enough paint on the inside around each hole so that the stomp switch, pots and jacks all make electrical contact with the chassis. I use a wire wheel in a drill press. Second thing I recommend is making C30 smaller. a LOT smaller. Try 47pf to 100pF. 47nF is way too big and over-stresses the LM324.

Shielded wire may come in handy here too. You want your In/Outs as far away from your 9v/ground as possible. I usually twist my power wires to the jack together so they half assedly shield themselves a bit.

No schematic so I’m not sure what else to suggest. If it’s anything like the Sea Horse decoupling your pot grounds from the board may come in handy...on that build wiring pin 1 of the intensity and dimension pots to the dc ground had a measurable effect on the LFO ticking (on my build anyway!)

I've seen a schematic, not sure if it's 100% accurate. The Dark Rift is very much like the Sea Horse. The LFO is pretty much identical. I've got a Sea Horse in the queue, will be interesting to see if I get the ticking and if so, what will cure it. Does setting the SHAPE control have any effect on the loudness of the tick?

I've seen a schematic, not sure if it's 100% accurate.

The schematic is 100% accurate... ;)

Correction, I should say ~95% accurate, it doesn't have "Flex bypass" or diode-to-ground polarity protection.

Does setting the SHAPE control have any effect on the loudness of the tick?

It does not. Neither does the Depth control.

Turning down the guitar volume silences it, however. The LFO is being induced into the input stage, which is why the 1nF on the input dampens it.... sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the LM324 is the LFO. In hindsight, it probably should be located further away from the Input pad.

I've built two, one had a slight ticking with the 100pF input cap but 1nF silenced it completely. The other doesn't tick regardless of the cap.

Chong has built one that does not tick (with 1nF, not sure if he ever tried 100pF), and another person (not a member here) has built one with 100pF and no ticking.

However, two people have now reported the tick so it's not a single isolated incident. I won't be restocking the board until the problem is resolved consistently, and we'll take care of anyone who does have the issue.

Darn, I already got rid of my Dark Rift because of the ticking before I realized there was a forum :(

Had ticking with both values of input cap, I went through a batch of about ten LM324s which all ticked to varying degrees so I stuck in the quietest one (sourced from eBay so I didn’t expect consistency, but I did build a click-free Sea Horse with an LM324 from the same batch so I dunno if that is useful info)

Back