Tiny Orange Boxes (Warning: 1590LB Content)

Bricksnbeatles

Member known well
Well, I’m waiting on a few missing parts before I can put these two together, so in the meantime I’m getting the enclosures drilled up (the tiny hole on the top is just for indexing when I stamp the graphics on— it’ll be drilled out for a footswitch after that) and ready for the graphics.
In the meantime, does anyone have any guesses as to what’s going in these two little boxes?
(hint: the slightly less-than-smooth texture is deliberate)

I’ll come back with more hints if nobody gets it. Graphics should be ready to go tomorrow, and I’ll post additional pics then, as well as when theyre

• Love
Reactions: fig
Looking good! Are the jacks drilled offset? I had a rangemaster slated for one awhile back, but having never tried before, I didn't think to measure for the added length needed for cable tips.

Looking good! Are the jacks drilled offset? I had a rangemaster slated for one awhile back, but having never tried before, I didn't think to measure for the added length needed for cable tips.
The lumberg jacks that I’m using actually don’t need to be offset very much (if at all) for a 1590lb (the threaded area is just a tad bit longer, so there’s about 2.5mm between the tips of the plugs when they’re plugged in). When I did 1590lb stuff with Switchcraft #11 jacks, I did have to offset them pretty considerably though. I suppose if you used switchcraft #L11 jacks, those could potentially work without an offset as well.

Nice! I'll have to give it a go with some lumbergs...I've gotten fond of those recently...I even have an urge to fill out a TPS report. :ROFLMAO:

Nice! I'll have to give it a go with some lumbergs...I've gotten fond of those recently...I even have an urge to fill out a TPS report. :ROFLMAO:
Go for it! Not all LB enclosures are exactly the same, so no guarantee that it’ll work, but I’m hoping for the best for you! If you do need to start over, I recommend this drill template, and to use lumberg audio jacks and the mini non-switched lumberg 2.1mm dc jack. I also really Recommend using the absolute best footswitch you can use when doing a 1590lb or 1590a build since it can be a massive pain in the ass to have to replace it if it wears out, and it’s best to avoid that headache for as long as possible.

If you need a good source for more enclosures, I was able to get 10 of them for $18 + $6 shipping on AliExpress, and they’re extremely solid enclosures. Since most legit Hammond LBs start at $6-7 and are out of stock pretty much everywhere last I checked, that might be your best option if you can’t salvage the enclosure you have.

• Love
Pic link isn't workin' for me, but no worries there.

Love the little LB builds.

You could do the whole Armstrong collection!

Pic link isn't workin' for me, but no worries there.

Love the little LB builds.

You could do the whole Armstrong collection!
Just a plain old picture of some bright orange enclosures
(Direct link instead of embed)
For some reason this forum always says my photo is too large for the servers, even if it’s less than 2mp in size, so I just embed through Imgur

I actually hadn’t thought of doing the other Armstrong pedals in 1590lb format— I’ve done dozens of green ringers (big Zappa freak) over the years in all kinds of situations, but never in an lb enclosure.
I’m also a fan of the Red Ranger and Purple Peaker, but I’ve never actually tried to make a Yellow Humper or Blue Clipper— I have a ton of Lb enclosures still though, so maybe I’ll throw some graphics together and get stamps made for when the time comes to make them. I always stamp the graphics on my LB builds because there’s just something fun about that monotone boutique vibe compared to the more highly-involved design work I usually do for pedal graphics. Here’s a Fuzz enclosure I put together for my Star Wars rig— unfortunately the silver ink I got is crap and smudges well after drying if you even look at it funny, and it was my 4th day in a row trying to get a decent result, and it was my first otherwise good print with the silver ink, so I just dealt with the smudge on my signature from when I was putting it in the spray booth:

Last edited:
I've yet to come across a proper schematic for the Yellow Humper — let me know if you do.

I've got an all-Armstrong in one box build planned. Got most of the parts, just need time... oh, and will be building a Yellow Humper-like on a Purple Peaker board. From what I've read, they're the same circuit just different EQ points.

PS: Thanks for the pic link. For some reason, by browser displayed the Doomsday but not the orange LBs, but now it's displaying everything in glorious technicolour!

I've yet to come across a proper schematic for the Yellow Humper — let me know if you do.

I've got an all-Armstrong in one box build planned. Got most of the parts, just need time... oh, and will be building a Yellow Humper-like on a Purple Peaker board. From what I've read, they're the same circuit just different EQ points.
Yeah, I haven’t even found any gutshots of the yellow humper that I could reverse engineer. The blue clipper just always manages to be forgotten among my other project plans, though I hopefully will remember to make one in the future

I've seen a couple old classified threads over on Talkbass that sold Yellow Humpers long before I was aware of their existence. Not quite unicorn tears, but certainly hens teeth.

I've drilled a hole in a GPCB Emexar to cut the trace so I can solder up a resistor Blue Clipper style. The Emexar board let's you build a Micro Amp, Dist+ or 250 — but the Blue Clipper has one little devious extra resistor that the Dist+/250 don't have...
GPCB boards for the Green Ringer and orangesqueezer as well.

For the Purple & Yellow I'm using GGG boards, as is the Red Ranger.

Unlike the originals, I'll have one knob and one toggle switch per effect, with a master bypass for the six shooter.

Back