Tiny power amp

KindCanuck

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I wanted something to be a backup to my tube amps, and something I can easily attach to my pedalboard.

Reading through the thread on the TPA3118 power amp board, I realized I could do it!

I found some tiny simple amplifier boards that run off 5v, so I can use the USB port on my Fender Engine room instead of a 9v port. I was doubtful of them, not thinking it would be enough to power my 8ohm v30.

Boy was I wrong! It is perfect, gets plenty loud, but I doubt that it would be good in a band context, but it is definitely loud enough for any solo practice. Exactly what I wanted!

I use a buffer based on the simple jfet buffer schematic, using a 2SK30 into a B1M pot for volume. I have a power switch with a filter cap and polarity protection feeding it all.

At first I had to enlarge the jack hole, as the odd nut was grounding out on the enclosure. I probably won’t use these style jacks again. I’ll get all plastic ones to eliminate that problem

86AB0869-F029-49D9-A9C8-4712A133E8C4.jpeg BE8FDA07-DC53-459B-8062-DDD9B15A060F.jpeg 459134E4-3F24-47B3-99DB-F467FC689681.jpeg DB3321D0-5220-40CA-9D74-FC74A39EE7D7.jpeg DF92F186-CED4-4556-BECE-A0F0E00C15B9.jpeg

That is pretty cool. Do you have any issues with it getting dirty at higher volumes or does it stay fairly clean through out.

Cool! Is this sounds clean is very cool.
Do you think we can use an internal board with a 7805 regulator voltage and supply it with a 9v psu?

I haven’t played much with it yet, so I’ll get back to you once I dial it in. I have noticed distortion at higher levels, so I might try to set a max gain from the buffer circuit.

Cool! Is this sounds clean is very cool.
Do you think we can use an internal board with a 7805 regulator voltage and supply it with a 9v psu?
No, this board takes 3.3v or 5v only. I have some other more powerful boards that I’m going to use to build some more powerful amps. One takes 9v and the other is a TPA3110 board.

And

I think for the next version, I would change the switch to a short bat and move it next to the power jack. This would allow more space for the pot and LED, so I can use more interesting knobs. I like the horizontal layout, I think it makes it clear that this pedal is different from others.

I meant, maybe we can use a 9v PSU and use a regulator voltage, like a 7805 to get 5v and supply the amp circuit.
While we can supply the input buffer directly with the 9v getting more headroom and less distortion?
Oh of course, I didn’t even think of that. The volume pot is after the buffer, so it isn’t what is distorting, it’s the board itself. I did try it without the buffer and didn’t notice much volume loss, so maybe I can eliminate it… that would save space in my enclosure!

Back