Transistor Testing Question from a Novice

geoffrey

Hello again, everyone. Merry Christmas!

So I have a couple of Russian germanium GT402Bs that I got from Small Bear who state that they should have a gain range from 90-125.

I also have this cheap transistor tester that gives me the following results when testing one (see pic). I was of the understanding that "B" represents the hfe. Is this the case? If not, is there anything here that indicates the hfe? Clearly, I still know next to nothing :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for your help, as always!

IMG_8392.jpg

ermanium Transistor Russian GT402B​

Thanks for your input! That’s what I thought as well. I just wanted to make sure before I complained to Small Bear. One that I purchased is testing at over 200 hfe…that’s a big difference from 90-125

137 is a pretty good value for the HFE (beta). I would complain if it was lower than spec :)
Edit: 200 is even better! But I guess it all depends on the circuit. I would try it in the pedal before complaining. You might just like it as is.

HFE will be different for different temperature, Vce & Ic. That alone will account for 125 vs. 137. the Iceo is so high it would make the HFE reading unbelievably high if the tester did not account for leakage in the HFE measurement. I'd believe the tester.

I have a similar issue. I purchased some GT404B's form small bear, tht should read hf3 80-140. However, when I plug them into my multimeter NPN section, the readout is 1 for the 20 I've tested. Am I doing something incorrectly, is my mulitmeter faulty, or did I just get a batch of duds? Thanks in advance.

Back