Triple Pedal - Super Fuzz / Russian Muff / Rat with video

Danbieranowski

Welp. This thing is ridiculous. Built for a friend of mine and featuring The Hansons from Slapshot, it's a real party.

He wanted it to be a cascading fuzz/distortion effect, so with all 3 on it's just gnarly, but if he only wanted to use one, he could turn the others off and there'd be no non-effect guitar coming through like you'd get with a parallel mixer.

I tried a few different orders, but the one that turned out the best was Super Fuzz into Russian Muff into Rat. If the Super Fuzz wasn't first it would sound wonky (guessing this is a result of that circuit wanting to be first in the chain for impedance reasons).

Anyways, I used one of those little PedalPCB DC breakout boards which worked great.

Enjoy!

File_000.jpeg
File_001.jpeg

I was going to say the pedal needed foil, but then I enlarged the pic. Awesome job on the build, the graphics and the colorway Dan!
As someone who has seen the movies numerous times as a teen (the French-Canadian translation is pretty cult in Quebec), I would say this one is a hat trick!

I was going to say the pedal needed foil, but then I enlarged the pic. Awesome job on the build, the graphics and the colorway Dan!
As someone who has seen the movies numerous times as a teen (the French-Canadian translation is pretty cult in Quebec), I would say this one is a hat trick!
I can't take credit for that rad artwork. The guy who wanted the pedal took care of that. He thought of the 3 circuits as the 3 Hansons, so it all made sense lol. I should've wrapped the bastard in foil though! Haha.

Very nasty, Chuck like!
I believe the reason the Superfuzz needs to be first in the chain is because the octave-up function works best with clean-ish input. Feed it a square-wave and it goes hay-wire.

Very nasty, Chuck like!
I believe the reason the Superfuzz needs to be first in the chain is because the octave-up function works best with clean-ish input. Feed it a square-wave and it goes hay-wire.
Ah that makes sense! It sounded really thin and weak later in the chain.

Welp. This thing is ridiculous. Built for a friend of mine and featuring The Hansons from Slapshot, it's a real party.

He wanted it to be a cascading fuzz/distortion effect, so with all 3 on it's just gnarly, but if he only wanted to use one, he could turn the others off and there'd be no non-effect guitar coming through like you'd get with a parallel mixer.

I tried a few different orders, but the one that turned out the best was Super Fuzz into Russian Muff into Rat. If the Super Fuzz wasn't first it would sound wonky (guessing this is a result of that circuit wanting to be first in the chain for impedance reasons).

Anyways, I used one of those little PedalPCB DC breakout boards which worked great.

Enjoy!

View attachment 9865
View attachment 9866
That’s cool man!

Nice! Looks awesome. What transistors did you use in the Super Fuzz? I was just trying a bunch out this morning on mine. I think I got something pretty decent but I was curious what other people were using.

Nice! Looks awesome. What transistors did you use in the Super Fuzz? I was just trying a bunch out this morning on mine. I think I got something pretty decent but I was curious what other people were using.
Replaced the 2sc828 transistors with 2n5088 (had to adjust pin out to match the originals but this wasn’t too bad w/ a little heat shrink on the middle leg to prevent shorts). Replaced the OA90 diodes with 1n34a.

Cool thanks. I'll try them out. I originally used BC549Cs which I had to match the pin out as well. I felt the gain was too over the top for me. I ended up using some 2SC1849s I had because they have a much lower hfe and I guess that's more consistent with transistors of the time. Seems a little better to me but I know they aren't known for being high fidelity fuzzes. I was just curious what other folks were using.

I can see why you might need all three in one box. It's just not distorted enough if you just use one. You really do need all three.

If it was mine I wouldn't even have individual stomps. Or any stomps. Just on all the time. I'm sure it cleans up just fine with the volume knob.

I can see why you might need all three in one box. It's just not distorted enough if you just use one. You really do need all three.

If it was mine I wouldn't even have individual stomps. Or any stomps. Just on all the time. I'm sure it cleans up just fine with the volume knob.
It’s completely ridiculous is what it is.

Back