Tryian Distortion EQ questions

mjh36

So my first build, Tyrian distortion, went great but i feel i may have missed the mark with the EQ controls. I have never played a Revv G3 to compare so maybe other Tyrian owners can chime in.

Volume: works great
Gain: works great
Agression Switch: yup sounds good

(Knob value 0-10)

Bass: 0-3 i can tell it does something, but 4-10 can't tell if it's adding bass.
Mids: 0-10 works ok, but I keep it at 10
Treble: 0-10 works ok, but i keep it at 10 (8-10 being where i hear the treble really kick in)

Plus i have to use a little Post FX Eq to add even more mids and treble to dial it in. Maybe this pedal is more compressed in nature?

Not complaining i can still dial in a great sound but wondering if it's the way this pedal works. Or is there anything i can check? I multimetered every component before installing. But remember first build here.

20200909_152006.jpg

I don't recall such a limited range when dialing in mine, I'll try to check it later, when selecting Potentiometers did you use correct Taper?

I don't recall such a limited range when dialing in mine, I'll try to check it later, when selecting Potentiometers did you use correct Taper?
Pretty sure about the pots, I will check into this today. I will also find out how to measure potentiometers with my dmm and i will get back to you about values.

Ok tapers looked like they match. I looked up how to measure Ohms and Voltage on pots here's what i found.

Ohm's:
A100k Bass: 0-101k
B100k Mids: 0-101k
A50k Treble: 0-50k
A50k Volume: 0-50k
B1M Gain: 0-1M <-------- Weird one. Pins act different than the other pots in the board or that i have, ill put it left to right, pins 1 2 3.

B1M Gain resistantce:
Pins 1+2: Good, 0-1M
Pins 1+3: Resistance sweeps 0-1M (!) Not like my other pots which have fixed value.
Pins 2+3: 0, no reading, no sweep happening

Voltage (hooked up 9v battery to pins 1+3 of each pot, probes to pin 1+2)
A100k Bass: 0-8.33V
B100k Mids: .003-8.30V <----- Not gradual, immediatly jumps to 6 Volts as you turn it up past 0.
A50k Treble: 0-8.33V
A50k Volume: 0-8.34V
B1M Gain: 1.15-7.91V <----- Not gradual, immediately jumps to 7 Volts after turning from 0.

Gain and Mids look suspicious, though Bass pot reads ok even though i thought I'd find something there. I don't know if this is right, or if pots behave different once soldered to a pcb and connected to who knows what. But they behave different when i compare to loose pots in a bag.

Any tips of what i should do?

20200912_174203.jpg

Changed gain pot, same as before, works good. I'll probably stop kicking a gift horse in the mouth. My first pedal works great, if I gotta max the EQ to dial it in i can live with that.

Last edited:
Back