Tube Bender

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
Not a PedalPCB build, not yet anyway. Aion released a board and build docs for the out-of-production Dinosaural Tube Bender. Allegedly produces tones somewhere between a Tube Scream and Tone Bender (which Tone bender, they don't say). Not sure I'm hearing that, but it is a nice low to medium gain distortion pedal. I think it works best with humbuckers, YMMV. Good pick sensitivity and volume clean-up. The DRIVE control goes from clean boost to crunchy. With the 3-way TONE SHIFT switch, the TONE control has a good range from dark to flat to scooped.

Rather than procure the Aion board, I went Vero. There is a Vero layout on Guitar Effects Layouts, but it contains an error so I designed my own and crammed it into a Handy Box. The circuit design is similar to the Keeley Fuzz Head, but without the diodes. I tried a few different transistors and they all sounded pretty much the same. I also tried tweaking some component values, even tried JFETs in the distortion stage. Nothing I did sounded as good as the original design.

At the moment it's unpainted, but will get the acrylic pour treatment soon enough.

Tube Bender front (unpainted) 02.jpg

Tube Bender innards 02.jpg

Nice! I built the magazine circuit back in the day, and that sounds great too. I posted all of the build docs And schematic from the original magazine on the free stomp boxes board a few years ago, and no one cared back then! Glad to see it get its day.

Thanks! Because the Handy Box has so many surface contours, I poured each color separately instead of all out of the same cup like I did on the Ward 8.

I just wish it sounded good with my Strat. Has a nice grind with Humbuckers, but the single coil pickups on my Strat, it just sound thin. Gonna try a friend's Strat to see how it sounds.

Thanks! Because the Handy Box has so many surface contours, I poured each color separately instead of all out of the same cup like I did on the Ward 8.

I just wish it sounded good with my Strat. Has a nice grind with Humbuckers, but the single coil pickups on my Strat, it just sound thin. Gonna try a friend's Strat to see how it sounds.
Sounds like it needs a Fat Switch, maybe 22nf to 47nf between Tone 2 & Volume 3, YMMV ;) ! :

Fat Switch.jpg

Sounds like it needs a Fat Switch, maybe 22nf to 47nf between Tone 2 & Volume 3, YMMV ;) ! :

View attachment 6402
I tried the PedalPCB with stock 10nF at the Input & 22nf via a toggle switch for a total of 32.5nF, It was too Fat!
Changed it to 10nf for a total of 20. 25nF.
I like it!!!
Typically, when you crank up the Gain, you can switch it back to 10nF (Stock) if it gets too Bloated.

Back