Twin Face Input Cap

phi1

I've been studying the twin face schematic among other online resources in preparation of a PNP Ge Fuzz Face build.

There is only one input cap that both PNP and NPN circuits share. It is + on the input, and - toward Q1 Base. For PNP, this is good since the Q1 Base will have negative DC, about -0.2V according to the electrosmash article. But, for the NPN circuit, the Q1 Base will be positive, so the input cap is backwards of what it should be.

I understand that it's already up to a 4-pole switch, so it's preferred not to add another switch pole for this capacitor.

Is the bias so low on the Q1 Base (around +/- 0.2V) that the electrolytic capacitor polarity doesn't matter? Or, is it better to use a 2.2uF MLCC cap that is not polarity sensitve? Is there any downside to the MLCC in this case?

Yeah technically it's not "correct", but hasn't really caused any issues. Back when the circuit was designed I planned to make a modification if it was needed, but it didn't really seem to make any difference, so I never revisited.

There are a few ways to address it:

1) Ignore it
2) Use a non-polar cap (2.2uF electrolytic or MLCCs exist)
3) Replace it with back to back 4.7uF electrolytics
4) Re-orient the cap so it gets switched with the rest of the fuzz circuit (would need to add another cap)

I'll see about doing #4 in the next revision of the PCB, just because it's the "correct" way to do it.

I know plenty of folks are against MLCCs in the signal path, personally I have no problem with them and see them used in big name production pedals every day.

Back