Twin face

It all depends on what you want to do with the sound. You can reduce the Bass going into the distortion stage, or boost / cut Treble on the output. You can try a couple of things outside the enclosure to see if either of these gets you the desired tone. You can build these on perf, Vero, breadboard or air-circuit.
Bass cut: put an A100K pot in series with the input, wired for minimum resistance at full CCW. Put a 10nF cap in parallel with the pot. Turning the pot CW reduces Bass going in. You can try other cap values, but 10nF is a good starting point.
Treble boost / cut: build a BMP tone stack and connect it between the output and the next pedal or amp. This experiment will work best with the TwinFace VOLUME maxed out. If this does what you want, it can be inserted inside the box, ahead of the VOLUME pot. If the Bass is too weak, increase C2 & C4 to 100nF.
If you really want to go crazy, build a TMB tone stack and insert it ahead of the VOLUME pot.
Any tone control added to the output will reduce the max volume. To get the volume back up, increase R3 & R7. Try 1K. If you need even more volume, go higher. You will have to readjust the internal bias trimmers if you change R3 or R7.

There are FF-type pedals on this site that already have tone controls built-in. The Dung Beetle for instance.

My first build was a Twin Face, way back in April...I found it hard to play over the summer. The GE transistors I used did not appreciate the heat. Nowadays the GE side wins hands down. The Si side is just a little too...different. Mine prefers single coils. It was a great first build.

That's the first time I've seen resistors to join the pcb to the switch. Did you use 0K resistors?

My first build was a Twin Face, way back in April...I found it hard to play over the summer. The GE transistors I used did not appreciate the heat. Nowadays the GE side wins hands down. The Si side is just a little too...different. Mine prefers single coils. It was a great first build.
I built a Twin Face not too long ago. My Ge side and Si side are pretty similar. But I like Ge for the old school mojo.

Yeah
I’ve made a lot of these ...
I’m making one right now

I try to make sure the hfe is larger for Q2 than for Q1...
So I’ll do around 80hfe for Q1 and 120hfe for Q2...

Last edited:
Back