Two Big Muffs (Mascis/Elk)...

Coda

Here are my two newest Big Muff builds. On the left is the PedalPCB "Mask Us" version of the BMP, with a mids boost mod. On the right is a BMP Triangle/Elk Sustainar.

B0C90753-2A1E-47BB-A49F-BA6BE7DB7792.jpeg

I always use octagon enclosures for Big Muffs. And with all of the space inside, I always try and add additional features. Some times I try and add two pedals in one (like with the Triangle/Elk Sustainar). Other times its tone options (mids boost/tone bypass, etc).

Now, to review each circuit:

1976 Ram's Head #14 (Mask Us): I find this to be a good all around Big Muff. Not too much bass (surprisingly so), with plenty of clarity, especially when playing chords (Ex. 1). There are also more mids that usual with a Muff, so you get a crunchier (to my ears) tone than, say, a Violet Ram's Head. In the mids boost position you get even more mids, and more crunch (Ex. 2).

BMP Triangle/Elk Sustainar: In the Elk setting, you get exactly what you expect...'that' sound (tone control full CCW...its also wired in reverse). However, other than 'that' sound, I don't find too much else here. It is a great sound, though (Ex. 3). The Triangle setting impressed me. Bright, crisp, thick, bassy...a classic Triangle Muff tone, with that rich, 'violin-esque' sustain that made the BMP famous. (Ex. 4).

Examples are played with a Jazzmaster through a 1972 Acoustic 134.

Example #1

Example #2

Example #3

Example #4

I'm loving the purple sparkle on the Mask Us. Perfect. It sounds great as well! I'm going to have to make one here soon.

I'm loving the purple sparkle on the Mask Us. Perfect. It sounds great as well! I'm going to have to make one here soon.
I only did the Mascis Muff because I found the purple paint. I like the tone…it’s a good mix of the RH and the Russian tones. I will say that I’m surprised at how mild the bass is. It’s not thin, just thinner than, say, the V1 Violet. It definitely cuts pretty well, though…

Cool builds @Coda. Is the switch between elk and tri just changing a component?

Yes! You need it to go with your new guitar.

Cool builds @Coda. Is the switch between elk and tri just changing a component?

Yes! You need it to go with your new guitar.

The switch toggles between a 4n (I think) cap and a 330p cap. Thats the only difference between that particular Triangle circuit and the Elk Sustainar.

I love the Mid switch on my Ram’s Head Muffin. I used an On/On/On switch though so I could get a Flat setting as well.

I love the Mid switch on my Ram’s Head Muffin. I used an On/On/On switch though so I could get a Flat setting as well.
Because the Mascis Muff has a bit more mids than normal by default, I didn’t thing a flat mids setting would make too much of a difference.

Weird think is Mascis uses his muff as his clean tone. Basically just to ad a little grit to his clean tone. It’s always on, and he required it so the stomp switch bypasses the volume pot. I think he hits hit for his boost when he is soloing.

I always figured it was his dirty sound, but I’m pretty sure that’s from a zvex box of rock.

Weird think is Mascis uses his muff as his clean tone. Basically just to ad a little grit to his clean tone. It’s always on, and he required it so the stomp switch bypasses the volume pot. I think he hits hit for his boost when he is soloing.

I always figured it was his dirty sound, but I’m pretty sure that’s from a zvex box of rock.

Not exactly. Mascis has never been an exciting interview, but this pretty much goes through his concept of how he uses muff for loudest rhythm and leads. Start at 15 min mark....

Back