Tyrian - Second Build with Zero Sound Coming Out!

Caldo71

Hey Folks,

So I attempted a build of the Tyrian (probably way too) early on in my indoctrination into this hobby...as many of you may know it has a pretty high component count. I could not get any sounds to come out of it at all and I set it aside for a while.

Eventually I realized how shitty I was (at that point) at soldering, having the right soldering rig, spec'ing my components, TESTING my components, and so-forth. So I recently decided to just start over with a NEW Tyrian PCB, cuz god knows how many fails-on-top-of-fails could have been in that first one. Maybe not worth troubleshooting just now.

Anyhow fast forward to now, and I just finished what I thought was a METICULOUS build of the Tyrian...same exact problem. Damn. You can hear the hiss increase on the output potentiometer as you crank it, but something further up-stream is keeping this thing from putting out literally ANY tones...not even the tiniest little ghost of anything.

I have a few "outside the box" additions to this build—longer cable leads from the pots/jacks for mounting in a rack enclosure, replacing the tone knobs with internal trim pots, etc—that i think I'll start desoldering and reversing to a more traditional build, just to get some of the iffy stuff out of the way so I can be sure they are non-issues.

Components-wise, of course if nothing else comes up I'll have to go back and start counting resistor stripes and so forth on everything, though I rue the day, and am pretty sure I didn't mess that up. Hopefully it's something more basic. And if anyone else has had this issue with the Tyrian and knows a simple answer, I'm all ears.

In the meantime I'd like to kick this troubleshooting off with one newbish question about the TL072 ICs: I have a variety of these laying around, all Texas Instrument branded I believe. MOST of them are marked with "TL072ACP" (the "CP" stands for "charge pump", right?) but SOME of them just say "TL072CP" (no "A") and even OTHERS just say TL072P" (or it might be "IP"...the writing is SO f$%&ing small).

Is there any operational difference between these identifiers, and is it a possibility that me using TL072s with the wrong designation is what is messing up my build?

Sorry for the long post...hopefully the background info is a help.

Reactions: fig
I wouldn't start by replacing components. There are some intermediate steps available.
The suffixes mostly seem to deal with package variations, but any you mentioned will work. Here is a link to the TL0XX;

Posting some good pics has proven overall better success with solving the issue, but that said, someone may come along and say "dude, just do x and it will work"....

:)
Yeah like I said let me get some of the weird shit out of the way so you guys can see my build clearly and then I’ll post some photos.

Pics are more important that you think when asking for help here. While we’re waiting for them take a read here to learn how to troubleshoot. It’s the most frustrating part of the building process but also one of the more fruitful since you will learn from your mistakes. Once your pics are up we can be more helpful.

Okay so IT WORKS I FIXED IT!

As-semi-predicted it had to do with some of the “innovations” I was perpetrating in order to make these easier to eventually load into my rackmount enclosure.

I was attempting to use a few tiny cables that terminated in mini JST connectors (see attached pics) so that I could easily pop off the ins/outs/drive/volume/dpdt connections and mount these controls to the front or back plates of the rack enclosure. Just so I could stress the cables/solder pads a bit less whilst fiddling with the populated PCB. Easier minus all those dangling cables I figured.

I suspect those mini JSTs and their wire leads (purchased pre-assembled) were just kind of disintegrating under the heat of my solder gun…as I was desoldering ‘em from the PCB yesterday I felt some just kinda fall apart in my fingers.

ANYHOW I’m attaching pics as-requested regardless just so you guys can see my wacky build with the (repaired) long leads in place for where the pots etc have to end up on the rackmount faceplate. Notice also the trimpots replacing the tone controls…I set ‘em and forget ‘em.

Attachments

• C2E9AF5C-ACDD-4B33-88E6-C258084A287E.jpeg
    C2E9AF5C-ACDD-4B33-88E6-C258084A287E.jpeg
    881.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 9B13DB11-F3D3-44F6-9E8D-6175EF28499E.jpeg
    9B13DB11-F3D3-44F6-9E8D-6175EF28499E.jpeg
    820.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 4A879B01-E812-4471-AAFA-DFDCC4D165B5.jpeg
    4A879B01-E812-4471-AAFA-DFDCC4D165B5.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 8
Back