DEMO Uber Drive (Boss SD-1)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Inspired by @Guardians of the analog 's "Boss-a-palooza" I decided to grab a couple of the Boss overdrive boards.

I may be the only person on this forum living under a rock that's never played an SD-1, OD-1, BD-2, etc. Just never got on my radar.

I originally drilled this enclosure to build the BD-2 Blues Driver but when I went to go pull the parts was missing the Dual Gang A250k.

Since the Uber Drive is that same layout I decided to pivot the build that instead.

Man, I can't believe how much I like this pedal! I know that it's a ubiquitous overdrive and can be had very inexpensively.
But if you were you give it an exotic Japanese name and throw in some hype on TGP, it would be easily received well as a $300 booteek transparent overdrive... :ROFLMAO:

Really great sounding low to medium gain overdrive that preserves your amp/guitar tone. No mid hump nonsense.

I'm going to have to hunt down some of the other Boss OD pedals to build now. I have my sights set on the Aion OD-3 version.

I'll be building the Cobalt (BD-2) when my SBP order shows up.

Highly recommended build. Super easy, low component count.

I subbed a couple of parts. The 916 diodes I subbed 914's. And the 2SC732's I subbed with 2SC1815's.

No demo, cuz everyone (but me) knows what this pedal sounds like hahah.

IMG_4321.JPG

IMG_4319.JPG

Wait you're not the only one. I never played any of those Boss Pedals you mentioned! The only circuit i have currently from the Boss line is the BF-2. Which ive yet to build.

That purple is awesome! And your build is clean as always! Awesome build dude!

SD-1 has gotta be one of the most underrated pedals out there for me. Not just a "good for the money" (as they are VERY cheap) but just a really good sounding drive in general.

I know they moved to SMD somewhat recently but the old through hole ones were really fun mod platforms too. A lot of boutiquey overdrives are just modded SD-1's so they're fairly easy to fiddle with and get close to something much higher dollar. Not exactly top-shelf but I had an old SD-1 modded to Fulldrive specs (I think it was one of Brian Wampler's mods IIRC, but I may be mistaken on that) and it sounded just fantastic. For a pedal that cost like 30 bucks used it was crazy good.

So yea - I do recommend the SD-1 to just about anyone.

(On the other hand, I know many love it too, but I have never really been able to bond right with the Blues Driver. To each their own, I guess...)

Inspired by @Guardians of the analog 's "Boss-a-palooza" I decided to grab a couple of the Boss overdrive boards.

I may be the only person on this forum living under a rock that's never played an SD-1, OD-1, BD-2, etc. Just never got on my radar.

I originally drilled this enclosure to build the BD-2 Blues Driver but when I went to go pull the parts was missing the Dual Gang A250k.

Since the Uber Drive is that same layout I decided to pivot the build that instead.

Man, I can't believe how much I like this pedal! I know that it's a ubiquitous overdrive and can be had very inexpensively.
But if you were you give it an exotic Japanese name and throw in some hype on TGP, it would be easily received well as a $300 booteek transparent overdrive... :ROFLMAO:

Really great sounding low to medium gain overdrive that preserves your amp/guitar tone. No mid hump nonsense.

I'm going to have to hunt down some of the other Boss OD pedals to build now. I have my sights set on the Aion OD-3 version.

I'll be building the Cobalt (BD-2) when my SBP order shows up.

Highly recommended build. Super easy, low component count.

I subbed a couple of parts. The 916 diodes I subbed 914's. And the 2SC732's I subbed with 2SC1815's.

No demo, cuz everyone (but me) knows what this pedal sounds like hahah.

View attachment 43040

View attachment 43041
Clean as aways! Love me some SD1, I personally think it sounds much better than the TS

Ok so first of all I’d like to say your demos rock! You know it’s an awesome demo when half way you forget that your supposed to pay attention to the pedal rather than the player playing 😎

With that said I love the way this sounds. So refined even with the gain up is sounds so good. Great job! I’ve gone ahead and added this to my cart! 🤣

Back