Unpopular opinion-bands you should like but don't

thewintersoldier

There are always gonna be those classic bands that most people like, idolize and obsess over-except you. Especially in classic rock. I grew up with it, was force fed it and alit of it I see the brilliance and I ovation but some of it just don't do it for me l. What groups fit into this category for you? People always look at me crazy when I say I don't like Aerosmith. They make me cringe lol and Pink Floyd has never done it for me, ive tried, on many occasions on various substances and I don't get what all the fuss is about. Tones are decent but, some songs are ok but as a whole I'm lost. Who you guys got?

peccary

Someone will probably stab me for this, but I gotta say it: The Doors. I just don't get it. They have like two or three songs that I like but for the life of me I don't understand how in the world they command so much respect from people. I hear them listed with Henrdix or The Stones and it just seems wrong.

Please don't hurt me.

Harry Klippton

Someone will probably stab me for this, but I gotta say it: The Doors. I just don't get it. They have like two or three songs that I like but for the life of me I don't understand how in the world they command so much respect from people. I hear them listed with Henrdix or The Stones and it just seems wrong.

Please don't hurt me.
I always thought Jim Morrison sounded like a lounge singer.

I have zero tolerance for grunge or alternative whatsoever

Coda

Please don't hurt me.
Converse to the topic, I always thought The Rolling Stones were overrated. I love their stuff up through Let it Bleed. After that it gets a little weak. And I can’t for the life of me get into ELP. I love King Crimson, but ELP just seems a little boring…

thewintersoldier

I can appreciate things for what they are, and I can like a song by an artist I don't like. But alternative is my bread and butter. The 90s for me were like the 60s and 70s to my parents. Here are two groups from my generation I don't get. Pantera and the Food Fighters. Flame suit on lol I've seen both in concert, did nothing for me. And Nu-metal as a whole, not even a wiggle down there lol.

wintercept

AC/DC. They’ve earned their place in music history for sure, but I find their musical and lyrical ideas to be pretty empty and uninspiring with few exceptions.

Aerosmith too. I think it also expands into a lot of classic rock hits that everyone’s heard a million times (and I am fairly young, just old enough to legally drink in my neck of the woods). I can only listen to so many songs about sex, drugs, and rock n’ role with all the creepy-ass innuendos and no irony whatsoever. I’m sure there’s some great stuff in albums I’ll never listen too cuz the singles put me off of the band. Oh well..

Outside of that, my friends tried to put me on to Mac Miller and the music just doesn’t do it for me. I like a lot of hip hop but all the stuff that came out when I was in high school wasn’t it.

There’s probably more... I’m sure I’ll see some stuff I like mentioned by other people, but that’s the beauty of it all, huh?

wintercept

I can appreciate things for what they are, and I can like a song by an artist I don't like. But alternative is my bread and butter. The 90s for me were like the 60s and 70s to my parents. Here are two groups from my generation I don't get. Pantera and the Food Fighters. Flame suit on lol I've seen both in concert, did nothing for me. And Nu-metal as a whole, not even a wiggle down there lol.
I love alternative stuff too, and 90’s music as a whole. Used to really enjoy foo fighters, but I kind of got over their tone and music. They make radio ready, super clean and polished productions.

Pantera blew my mind when I was younger and learning guitar. Still love them but my tastes have definitely matured pass the scoops and Phil Anselmo.

malsanders

I totally get it, and there are heaps for me as well. I love Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, but could never get in to Nirvana. I get why Nirvana and Kurt are important to music as a whole, but even at the time I found them hard to listen to.

Pink Floyd and The Who are the same for me, and I can appreciate that people love them and why they are important. But I instantly like other classic rock bands like Led Zeppelin, the Stones, Cream, Hendrix ect

peccary

That first Foo Fighter's album where Dave Grohl came out of nowhere with that album... I really loved that CD and listened to it constantly. But I never liked anything else from them, really. I don't dislike it, it's just not my thing. So I kind of feel ya there.

Barry

Early on I was a huge fan of Neil Young, most of what he's done the last few decades does nothing for me, it's like one big enviro-political rant

thewintersoldier

That first Foo Fighter's album where Dave Grohl came out of nowhere with that album... I really loved that CD and listened to it constantly. But I never liked anything else from them, really. I don't dislike it, it's just not my thing. So I kind of feel ya there.
The first album was like a lot of stuff of the time, and in reality it was like diet Nirvana lol but immediately after that record he changed his sound to a more radio friendly Adult contemporary rock sound, and now it's full dad rock. I'm a dad but I'm very much anti dad rock.

Harry Klippton

I can appreciate things for what they are, and I can like a song by an artist I don't like. But alternative is my bread and butter. The 90s for me were like the 60s and 70s to my parents.
I'm pretty sure we're the same age. Up until a couple years ago, I kept being really surprised when the foo fighters came up cuz I thought they did one album and it was like "that one guy from nirvana after the other guy killed himself" and finally realized they have a ton of albums and maybe people like them? Idk I've never met someone who was an actual fan.

I was also really surprised the first time I met someone who legit liked U2. I thought the guy was being sarcastic. I thought U2 only made music for supermarkets.

And speaking of music for supermarkets, or airports as the case may be, I realized a few years ago that I'm an adult and I don't have to pretend to like Brian Eno anymore

Barry

I totally get it, and there are heaps for me as well. I love Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, but could never get in to Nirvana. I get why Nirvana and Kurt are important to music as a whole, but even at the time I found them hard to listen to.

Pink Floyd and The Who are the same for me, and I can appreciate that people love them and why they are important. But I instantly like other classic rock bands like Led Zeppelin, the Stones, Cream, Hendrix ect
I grow up in the 70's and The Who were always a little too pop for me, but I dig Pink Floyd

thewintersoldier

Early on I was a huge fan of Neil Young, most of what he's done the last few decades does nothing for me, it's like one big enviro-political rant
I think it's a matter of artists not knowing when to call it a day. Some keep trying to evolve, some try to recapture that magic but any band who stays around long enough becomes a parody of themselves.

thewintersoldier

I'm pretty sure we're the same age. Up until a couple years ago, I kept being really surprised when the foo fighters came up cuz I thought they did one album and it was like "that one guy from nirvana after the other guy killed himself" and finally realized they have a ton of albums and maybe people like them? Idk I've never met someone who was an actual fan.

I was also really surprised the first time I met someone who legit liked U2. I thought the guy was being sarcastic. I thought U2 only made music for supermarkets.

And speaking of music for supermarkets, or airports as the case may be, I realized a few years ago that I'm an adult and I don't have to pretend to like Brian Eno anymore
At the same time I liked a lot of music that was not popular or went thru phases where I like things at weird times in my life. I went thru a phase for like almost 2 years where I listened to classical music and a lot of film scores lol I needed a break from conventional music. I listened to alot of classic country from the 50s and 60s but anything post 70s country makes me want to hurl.

Barry

I know a lot of folks who are Gaga over Bonamassa, I can tolerate some stuff, mostly his covers, but mostly he's just a hot dogging show off with not much feel or emotion

Barry

I'll probably be banned for this one, but instrumentalist like Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson, Yingvie Malstrom, Vai and Satrianni I don't get it, great guitarist, but I can listen about 2 minutes and it's all redundent to me, Chet Atkins I can listen to all day and I'm not a huge Country fan

Edit: I an also appreciate a lot of chord/melody stuff with out vocals

Last edited: