Updated Black Ash Clone - With More Mojo????

Fingolfen

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Back in December I finished up a clone of the EQD Black Ash fuzz pedal. For that first validation build I went with all modern components, but the original Black Ash used a lot of vintage bits in its construction - including carbon composition resistors and what appear to be paper in oil capacitors. I wanted to experiment with the components a bit and decided to try to take the build a few steps closer to the original to see if it made much difference.

SOFX - KT Fuzz - Mojo - 01.jpg

Starting with the South Obolon FX board, the resistors are all carbon film, rather than metal film which gets me at least a step closer to the original. I may try yet another version with actual Allen Bradley carbon composition resistors, but from my previous experience with Big Muff pedals, I know that carbon composition resistors tend to raise the noise floor of the effect. One problem I ran into is the diagrams show that the Black Ash used both a 4.6K ohm and 46K ohm resistor. Because of the looser tolerances of carbon film and carbon composition resistors, as far as I've been able to find these values don't actually exist (potentially as they are within the tolerance of a 4.7K ohm and 47K ohm resistor). If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know! Looking at gut photos of the actual effect pedal, it is hard to tell whether or not the bands on those resistors are actually yellow-blue (indicating 4 - 6) as opposed to yellow-purple (indicating 4 - 7). I'm assuming the latter, and if the values are actually supposed to be 4.6K ohm and 46K ohm, they were hand selected to be at the low end of the range - which is exactly what I did for this build!

SOFX - KT Fuzz - Mojo - 02.jpg

The original Black Ash didn't have too many capacitors. There were two axial electrolytic capacitors, which I think I've replicated. There was also only polystyrene capacitor, again which I think I've replicated. Finally there were a couple of what appear to be large paper-in-oil 100nF capacitors. I didn't go completely crazy there, though I did use higher-voltage Vishay capacitors similar to what the Tone Geek recommends on his TSV808 clone (the Steggo Secret Spinosaurus). I was a bit concerned that the larger capacitors wouldn't fit in the enclosure as the holes for the potentiometer shafts were very close to the top of the enclosure (in case I wanted to add a battery at some point), but with a little judicious placement, I managed to get everything to fit. I did go ahead and insulate the legs of the uppermost Vishay capacitor as it ran over both the edge of the board and on top of a few of the resistors. The transistors are all NOS 2N3903 transistors which were biased to 4.5V using the bias pad on the PCB.

SOFX - KT Fuzz - Mojo - 03.jpg

There are enough ground pads on the PCB for me to route all of the jack grounds to the board itself rather than using a star ground to the input jack. All of the jack connections are insulated with heat shrink tubing, and I'm using a PedalPCB 3PDT daughter board for the stomp switch. The LED is hand wired.

The enclosure art is the same as the normal K-T Event Fuzz pedal, though I am using different knobs. In terms of the sound, I honestly need to play with it more. At high volume and fuzz settings there may be a bit of a difference, but I need to get it into my tube amps rather than just the Katana at 0.5W to give it a real test. I'm calling this version the "Mojo" edition - though that begs the question of what I'd call one with carbon composition resistors and paper-in-oil capacitors, but fortunately I can procrastinate a bit on that decision!

So, was it worth it? I guess it depends on your perspective. If "worth it" means it has a drastically different sound, then the jury's still out. I'm going to have to experiment with it more on different amps with different guitars (oh dang, make me play guitar!). The cost of this build isn't that much different than the all-modern component one - at least at this point. I could see how you could go completely crazy with exotic capacitors, though. In terms of "rule of cool" it definitely wins there, and it was a lot of fun to try and get all of the larger components to fit in the board's footprint.

Original blog entry: https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2023/02/new-black-ash-variant-closer-to-original.html

Last edited:
Nice job! 👏🏼

I also went the “Endangered” route for my clone. I even found a poly for the input cap. I put the bias external however for more fun with a 33k in place of the 46k.

Differences are of course slight. Never did any artwork for mine, need to revisit maybe.
Love that board!!! Where did you get it????

That is some OUTSTANDING work you guys did there!
I just built one of these last week as well. It's the second pedal I ever built, I have only the slightest idea of what I'm doing.
I built mine using all modern off the shelf stuff because I have a Black Ash and I wanted to know if all the voodoo components inside really matter.

What do you think about the tones you got with the vintage parts?

I found that my clone goes way fuzzier than the black ash does, but it seems like it's more compressed. Less headroom maybe? I can set them both to make near identical sounds at some points on the dial, but they're certainly not the same pedal. I can get some real great AC/DC type boosted tones out of the Ash with the volume up and the fuzz down. The clone seems to have much more gain at lower volumes and doesn't do the boost thing quite as well.

Do you have any thoughts about what changes I could make to get the headroom back and the fuzz down? I'm REALLY curious if it's the vintage components that do this or just the design of the pedalpcb circuit itself.

I bought another PCB last week because I want to do a side by side build. I'd love some educated advice before I go off and spend more money! :LOL:

That is some OUTSTANDING work you guys did there!
I just built one of these last week as well. It's the second pedal I ever built, I have only the slightest idea of what I'm doing.
I built mine using all modern off the shelf stuff because I have a Black Ash and I wanted to know if all the voodoo components inside really matter.

What do you think about the tones you got with the vintage parts?

I found that my clone goes way fuzzier than the black ash does, but it seems like it's more compressed. Less headroom maybe? I can set them both to make near identical sounds at some points on the dial, but they're certainly not the same pedal. I can get some real great AC/DC type boosted tones out of the Ash with the volume up and the fuzz down. The clone seems to have much more gain at lower volumes and doesn't do the boost thing quite as well.

Do you have any thoughts about what changes I could make to get the headroom back and the fuzz down? I'm REALLY curious if it's the vintage components that do this or just the design of the pedalpcb circuit itself.

I bought another PCB last week because I want to do a side by side build. I'd love some educated advice before I go off and spend more money! :LOL:
I still need to finish the side by side, and I have a friend with "the real thing" so I want to compare.

Where did you set the bias on Q3? I've found that can make a huge difference in the sound.

Feel free to DM me to talk more about a “parts kit”, but these aren’t “for sale” per se. You’d be relatively on your own. I am flexible but don’t really wanna have to provide support beyond simple questions. No docs etc.

They are not really kit friendly if you get my drift, they match the specific component sizes and require a specific assembly to make fit properly.

Some component footprints (transistor) not even there. LEDR and PPD on underside of pcb. Taiway lo pro fs ONLY and you NEED my FS pcb as well.

I orignally planned to sell about 20 completed builds or so and never got around to it. Haven’t even finished art.

I still need to finish the side by side, and I have a friend with "the real thing" so I want to compare.

Where did you set the bias on Q3? I've found that can make a huge difference in the sound.

So yeah, like I said, REALLY new at this. Not scientific yet, I'm sorry.
I found that turned down, the fuzz sounded loose and turned up, it sounded tight. I set it at about 1 o'clock because that sounded most like the Black Ash I have, but it's still not really exact. I'm guessing those vintage components come into play here.

I also used a 46.4 K resistor I found from Mouser because it was as close as i could get off the shelf. Not sure how that has an effect on things like the lack of headroom I'm perceiving.

Back