V3 BMP (w/ Zircon Encrusted Transistors)...

Coda

Go figure, I've built another BMP. This is my 7th Big Muff build (technically, its the 10th, since a few of them are modded to swtich between two different variants). I built this based on the V3 schematic on the Kit Rae site. I added a toggle that switches between stock V3 and the Zappa Mod (47k limiting resistors). In stock version, this is one of my favorite BMP sounds. Its a little chewy and chewy like a V4/5, has a nice low end that isnt too boomy like a Triangle, is clear and cuts well like a Ram's Head, and has a gritty growl that is reminiscent of a Sovtek. It even cleans up pretty good. Its interesting; at first it doesnt seem as gainy as any other muff, but this is misleading. What's interesting is the balance in the tone. The lower/bassier strings are bassy, thick, and a bit wooly...almost like a FF. The treble strings, however, are very clear, creamy, with a lot of sustain. The tone is also very harmonically rich. Its a very focused, spongy tone (adjectives, lol)...

The Zappa mod is interesting too. The toggles swaps in 47k limiting resistors. I'll explain further, for those in the back of the room: the limiting resistors limit the signal going in to each gain stage. The higher the resistors, the lower the gain. Normally, a BMP with have limiting resistor values of either 8k, 10k, or 12k, depending on whatever they had on hand that day. 47k limiting resistors are limiting a fair amount gain. With the Sustain control maxed (which is full CCW on this one, I confused myself with the wiring) the pedal is comparable to an average BMP with its control at about 10-11 o'clock. However, you still have a fair amount of sustain. So its a smoother, more mellow tone, that sustains like a BMP. It's also a bit quiet and dark, so you have to adjust volume and tone when you switch it. It really shines with a distortion/boost running into it. In fact, with Zappa mod on, a DS-1 running into it, and a little bit of chorus, you can really nail those crazier 1980's Zappa tones...you know...the ones where he would sit on a stool the whole song, drinking coffee, and then pick up his guitar, melt face, and then put it down and start reading a magazine...

TL/DR: BMP=good, V3 BMP= gooder, V3 BMP with Zappa mods= goodest. Do yourself a favor, the next time the pedal goblin (Fig) whispers in your ear "build another pedal," do yourself a favor and build a non-common BMP...

92D91B21-A6C9-4A4C-A230-924B6A9B797C.jpeg B853C282-A147-41F8-B5AC-3F668F373AC9.jpeg

A quick word on my artwork: I don't do artwork. While I am artistically rich musically, and with creating stories and jokes and interpretive dance, my visual art skills are pretty sad...

I never get tired of building BMP variants... this is extremely cool!
Same here. I'm getting to the point now where its more about seeing if there is even a difference between variants...say, 73 Violet #1, #2, the 74 and 75 violets. I think next up I'm gonna do The 47, with some tone options. After that, I want to put a slightly tweaked V6 in a box with a DS-1 running into it. The Doom Box...

Same here. I'm getting to the point now where its more about seeing if there is even a difference between variants...say, 73 Violet #1, #2, the 74 and 75 violets. I think next up I'm gonna do The 47, with some tone options. After that, I want to put a slightly tweaked V6 in a box with a DS-1 running into it. The Doom Box...
I'm half ready to go ahead and just get a BMP breadboarded up and then just start messing around... of course, then I'd probably drop the tone stack for a 3-band EQ once I get a good circuit figured out... and then you get dogs and cats, living together... mass hysteria....

I'm half ready to go ahead and just get a BMP breadboarded up and then just start messing around... of course, then I'd probably drop the tone stack for a 3-band EQ once I get a good circuit figured out... and then you get dogs and cats, living together... mass hysteria....

I have one of those…the Mother Muff…

Was wondering whether I should build the Zappa 47.

I've got 4 Muff builds all in various stages of completion, and another 50 or so planned...

Was wondering whether I should build the Zappa 47.

I've got 4 Muff builds all in various stages of completion, and another 50 or so planned...

I question the practicality of it, honestly. It’s definitely interesting, but it is a strange mod indeed. I honestly doubt he used the modded muff much at all. I bet his Muff during the Belew era was stock.

Update: @MichaelW sent me some Telefunken BC239's. I had to think for a bit about which Muff I had build have 239's, and it turns out it was this Zappa Muff. I swapped the new ones in and there is definitely a difference. The pedal is a little more rude sounding now. The Zappa mod is relatively useless (mods should do MORE not LESS), but the actual fuzz tone sounds like a Ram's Head, Op-Amp, and Green Russian muff had a three-way baby...

Glad you found a use for them, I figured if anyone would it would be you:)

I did some very precursory sorting of the bunch I recently got and it seems like most of them fall into the 300's range. Some in the upper twos and some in the upper 400's. I just picked 4 out in about the 430 range for my Green Russian build.

I really like the way they sound in my Triangle. Like they have a bit of "edge" to them.

Update: @MichaelW sent me some Telefunken BC239's
With leather?

Love the enclosure.

I was playing with a muffuletta this weekend. I’d be curious to see what the jhs variant schematic is. It seemed a lot like their civil war version to me.

I have a muff with that set up. To me the one tone knob seems perfect it’s simple, no brainer type setting. Adding a mid switch for scooped/flat/boosted seems to make that one knob cover the range.

Reactions: fig
With leather?

Love the enclosure.

I was playing with a muffuletta this weekend. I’d be curious to see what the jhs variant schematic is. It seemed a lot like their civil war version to me.

I have a muff with that set up. To me the one tone knob seems perfect it’s simple, no brainer type setting. Adding a mid switch for scooped/flat/boosted seems to make that one knob cover the range.

I think the Muffletta is the CW circuit, as well as the Ram’s Head, Triangle, Green Russian, NYC, and a JHS version…

I'm kind of working my way up chronologically to Big Muffs, though not in a linear fashion since I've never built a Rangemaster or a Maestro.

The sheer amount of variants is disarming since I don't know what they sound like and now I learn there's a Zappa version as well. I'm a massive Zappa fan but I know surprisingly little about his gear (BTW has anybody cracked the code on his 87-88 clean tone?).
I also didn't know he would read magazines on stage. Haven't watched live footage of his last tour in a long time.

Time to hit the breadboard.

I really wasn't into Muffs until I saw the obsession from a couple of members here.

Now my obsession is building with 4 variants so far and more planned.

I'm kind of working my way up chronologically to Big Muffs, though not in a linear fashion since I've never built a Rangemaster or a Maestro.

The sheer amount of variants is disarming since I don't know what they sound like and now I learn there's a Zappa version as well. I'm a massive Zappa fan but I know surprisingly little about his gear (BTW has anybody cracked the code on his 87-88 clean tone?).
I also didn't know he would read magazines on stage. Haven't watched live footage of his last tour in a long time.

Time to hit the breadboard.

I think the ‘88 clean tone was perhaps one of the most complicated tones ever, from what I have read. Three different amps (Carvin, Acoustic, and JCM800) each with their own separate effects chains, mic’d/DI’d into the mixer and…mixed. Lots of Flanger too (one of the reasons I’ve been trying to build one), and whatever on-board stuff he was using on the Precision Strat…

…like most things from the 1980’s, ‘88 Zappa is kind of sad. His heart wasn’t in it, he was very sick, and he just didn’t care as much anymore. When his band imploded, he shrugged his shoulders, and decided not to go on, so he gave his foot a push, and rode, like a cowboy, into the dawn…

…like most things from the 1980’s, ‘88 Zappa is kind of sad. His heart wasn’t in it, he was very sick, and he just didn’t care as much anymore. When his band imploded, he shrugged his shoulders, and decided not to go on, so he gave his foot a push, and rode, like a cowboy, into the dawn…
I like some of the songs that band produced but I'll never be a fan of the tone of the 80s. Seems like only Tom Waits escaped that plastic decade unscathed.

Back