[Vero] Barber Direct Drive

szukalski

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Another of the recent builds I put together with some parts on hand and the first vero I boxed up.

I enjoy the Barber stuff, I need to breadboard and see if I can improve the eq. This and the Tater Tot both have a timbre which I enjoy but there’s something about the upper mids which annoys me.

Ignore the wiring. This was done as a learning experience with vero rather than a beauty contest. It’s functional.. 079236B8-C68B-45B9-A1A1-3FBB79CF63B3.jpeg D4F2C417-E54B-467D-B67D-DC3096DA6996.jpeg

I find exactly the same thing with the Barber pedals. They almost sound really good but there is something about the mids which makes them sound like pedals. Kinda frustrating.

I know what you mean about the mid spike. I have a Gain Changer that I can't see myself ever getting rid of. I got it because it seemed like a tube screamer, but fixed (if you're not into the tube screamer thing lol). It still has a spiky kind of midrange to it that I attribute to that RIAA preamp style recovery stage they use. I feel like you could tweak the resistors or caps there to tone it down a little. Some of the older versions had trimpots in them so you could adjust that EQ section. The newer compact enclosure versions had them permanently set to whatever resistor value Dave decided on.

My old V1 or V2 Direct Drive has the "pull harmonics" pot that gives you a mid bump, otherwise it was/is/can be(?) a pretty "transparent" drive. At least that's what I was sold on :ROFLMAO:. I remember it was a toss up between the DD and the VoodooLabs Sparkle Drive when I was buying it.

My old V1 or V2 Direct Drive has the "pull harmonics" pot that gives you a mid bump, otherwise it was/is/can be(?) a pretty "transparent" drive. At least that's what I was sold on :ROFLMAO:. I remember it was a toss up between the DD and the VoodooLabs Sparkle Drive when I was buying it.
ok, I just pulled mine out and fired it up for the first time in probably 5-6 years.
Dang it @HamishR and @cdwillis, you're right, it DOES have a wierd mid hump that I can't un-hear now.....hahahaha.....I'd forgotten what this sounded like. Still like it though, great for the low gain single coil stuff which is where it shines in my opinion.

Szukalski is spot-on - they're nearly great! And Dave Barber comes across as a really good fella online - even posting schematics on his website. I have built one or two and given them to friends who love 'em. At the time Barber was first selling these pedals they were probably amazing because there was a lot less choice. But now builders have built on from what he and others have achieved and there are some very very good alternatives around now.

Back