DEMO [Vero] Deep Blue Delay

This post contains an audio or video demo

owlexifry

i think i saw someone here mention that this delay circuit was surprisingly good.. or something to that effect.
after finding out it's a PT2399-based circuit, with my bag of spare PT2399 ICs, that was enough for me to give it a go.
especially when it's this small: (18x19!)
IMG_6140.PNG

IMG_5993.JPG

when i approached this build i decided i wasn’t gonna take it too seriously and just use whatever i had lying around without buying anything.
didn’t have any suitable metal enclosures, or even any tins, so i used this old boutique store samples box (jewelry box cardboard sorta thing), seemed sturdy enough.
i also didn’t have any 50K linear pots…. but i did have these large 50k sliders that i initially bought for an eq build, but were way bigger than i anticipated, so were just sitting in a box.

so here it is:

IMG_6156.JPG
yep. gaffer tape and everything.

but hey it sounds great! very pleased.
clean crisp sound, and seems very capable.

i've never used a delay before, i think im getting the hang of it...

ugly gutshot :(
IMG_6153.JPG

My deep blue delay was one of my favorites. Mines also vero and has served me well. I love the enclosure with those sliders, looks ridiculous in the good way haha.
haha cheers! i hope the cardboard lasts.... maybe i could reinforce it with some 2pak epoxy glue (got plenty leftover from the CrabVerb build)

it's such a good sounding modulation circuit for how small and simple it is. seems to get on with a lot of folks...

I love the sliders 🤣

The longest serving DIY pedal I have is my deep blue delay also made using the tagboard layout.
lol yeah the sliders are bit silly, but after giving it a go, they kinda make a lot of sense for a delay

ay it's a good layout... but somehow i still managed to bungle it and made a couple errors on this one 🤦‍♂️

Dude that sounds so good! Love the sliders.
cheers!
turns out this freebie amp sim has a real nice clean channel, just tried it out last night for the demo:

Very nice. I’ve used and built about 3, maybe. A vero, and fabbed PCB and I think an etched PCB. Great demo.
ay thanks - actually i think it was you that i saw singing praises for this circuit!
i am converted.
i think ill have to build another one sometime, but properly.

update:

decided i wanted properly box this build, so i added a blue 125B to my last tayda order.

when approaching the re-housing, i didn't really wanna have to redo any of the wiring if possible, so was fairly limited/locked to the initial jack/footswitch positions, which i was cool with :) plus the only wire i had to replace on the board was the +9V supply - fortunately left enough length on the pot wiring from the previous slide pots, so it wasn't too much of a job overall.

IMG_6626.JPG
still gotta do some sort of embossed labels for it with my little motex machine.. (rarely use the dymo one anymore)

IMG_6630.JPG IMG_6631.JPG

obligatory gut shot
IMG_6632.JPG

sounds great as it did before.
underrated circuit, super capable, especially given how simple it really is👌

Back