(Vero) The Depths using tagboard effects layout

Locrian99

Build Rating
4.00 star(s)
Well this was a fun one. I built this back in September i think.

I had looked at this layout multiple times curious about it. Then a friend of mine loaned me his the depths for the day. Started making the board that night. What a phenomenal sounding circuit.

So one of the reason I was building mainly on vero when I first started building was my lack of patience. I looked at the pcb I decided I didn’t want to have to wait for a Tayda order and the pcb to arrive and I had all the parts on hand to do the vero so I went for it. Half regret that decision.

So this layout is 23x23. In case anyone was curious this is the largest layout you can fit in a 125b, well you can do probably 23x25 if your off board wiring is On the 25 side but I don’t think I would put myself through that. A 125b will fit 23 rows across snugly.

So I spent the ridiculous amount of time making the board with I think 46 cuts and 23 links. Assembled the pedal the next day. I didn’t have a 100kb dual gang on hand so I used a 100ka (don’t recommend but it works). Get it all put together, fired up first try. Yay!

Start playing with it. Sounds no where near as good as the one I played. I had used 5549’s for the ldrs based on a comment in the comment thread in the layout. Bad advice. It sounded more like a tremolo with the signal being cut for the high dark resistance. Did some more research. Saw the layout for the abyss used some 10-20k/500k from tayda. Didn’t have those. I had some go 5529’s (I think) and they were 10-20k/1M. Over at diystompboxes someone mentioned having good results with one from small bear that had dark resistance around 300k. I did some testing and ended up being very happy wirb the 5529’s with a 330k across the legs which if I remember right ends up around 270. So got that solved. I’m playing around with it. And every time I turn my rate knob down in the bottom 30ish% my lfo locks. I have to turn it all the way back up then dial it back down, go to far it slowly locks again. More research… found someone else had the same issue and put an offset trimmer in there on a daughterboard (similar to the harbinger 1.5 from mbp). So I make up a little daughterboard match up the two schems (very similar) and put it in there. Problem solved, not too bad but now I got this board just kinda hanging around. With 5 pots, tight quarters in a 125b less than ideal. At this point I’m probably about 10 hours into this build and I don’t even have my enclosure done yet. But it’s sounding awesome.

I go through find some art I like for the enclosure get that done get her all boxed up and it works great. It’s a bowl of spaghetti in the enclosure but it works.

I would give the end result 5 stars. I’d give the process of getting there 2.5. End of the day I wish I would’ve just bought the board which I still may do and build another because I like the circuit that much Just wish it didn’t use 1/8 watt resistors since I have a mountain of 1/4 watts DF4C07C7-9215-4039-9D11-30A212331C8D.jpeg 07E84293-2A88-4A68-A77B-3912BA95B62A.jpeg E9AED5DC-1447-40CE-8F8E-2750D7BAFCB2.jpeg 1CAFB092-BA01-492C-8A46-49474A250593.jpeg

Very very cool! I’ve built a big vero like that myself, I feel your pain!
Thanks, I have one vero I did that’s bigger than this. A sea machine clone. I almost tried the julia on vero at one point. Talked myself out of it thankfully. I like doing small vero builds or ones where I’m just trying a circuit out. I have quite a few I never actually boxed. But after a certain size. They just aren’t worth it

Thanks, I have one vero I did that’s bigger than this. A sea machine clone. I almost tried the julia on vero at one point. Talked myself out of it thankfully. I like doing small vero builds or ones where I’m just trying a circuit out. I have quite a few I never actually boxed. But after a certain size. They just aren’t worth it
Nope. I needed an octave pedal in a hurry, so I built one from a layout at Tagboard I believe. Making the board kills my hands.

Love it!

For large and/or complex builds, PCB rules, but it's nice to knock out a vero when you're waiting on the post-person.

Back