VFE old school

Funnel

I bought a few VFE SPS projects in early 2022. I've had them sitting around in different stages of completion since then. anyways, this is the first one that I finished. the other ones are sitting on my "what did I do wrong" shelf. I like tremolo and have been missing it for a while now. So I decide it was time to build one. Function wise, this one is pretty simple. I don't know how useful the starve function is. although it does sound decent as an OD, not good enough for me to use it in place of my other overdrives. similarly the voice knob stays in the middle as that's the closest to my bypass signal.

I have never used ribbon cable for anything... I don't think I'll use it for future projects. I managed to break it while installing it on this pedal, and while troubleshooting on the other pedals. I didn't realize how delicate it was and probably was a little careless as I was troubleshooting. you may also notice that some caps appear to be missing. the caps I ordered were too large so I placed a few on the back side of the board.

I tried many different ideas with the design of this pedal. unfortunately, most of them were above my skill level. typically it was trying to design something far too detailed. anyways, I'm happy with the final design of this one. Although I probably should have made the overall pedal a little lighter or less saturated. the colours look a little darker than I anticipated. the UV print was done by amplify fun.

IMG_3259.jpeg IMG_3260.jpeg

I have a couple of VFE pedals from MBP. I've built one so far and it was a royal PITA to put together. And it didn't sound very good. I think it was the Pale Horse, or maybe the White horse, well, it was one of the horses heh.

Great job cramming it all in there man! And I LOVE the design!! I can hear the Gretsch with the bigsby already hahaha

I built several of the madbean projects as well. I chose the sps projects cause paying $10 for the board with a populated switching system was cheaper than the madbean projects. However, the madbean build docs are far nicer than the vfe documentation.

I’ve built the pale horse. I like it… sometimes. Unfortunately, my kids adjust the settings on my pedalboard all the time. So I’ll set it just so and then have to reset everything. I’m learning that I’d rather have my overdrives be set and forget. Six knobs and two internal trims is too much for my liking.

Back