Voltage getting grounded somehow?

I'm working on the Squidward board, but I'm using the Parentheses values and connecting to a Buff n Blend circuit to basically have a standalone octave section. Unfortunately something on the Squidward board is causing the voltage to short out. Not only that but whatever it is freaks out my power supply. I have the PCB loose and I'm testing on my prototype board. I'm getting 9.5V before I hook up the Squid, then once V+ and gnd are connected it drops to a couple hundred mV. The weirdest part to me is after disconnecting the Squid my supply voltage only rises and sits at 7.5V for a few minutes before returning to normal.

I checked continuity all over the board and nothing's getting grounded that shouldn't be. The biggest departure I made from the original build doc was I omitted a few parts that I didn't think I needed since this is going in the loop of a mixer - things like the pop resistor, the 100pf to ground at the input, the LED and its CLR... stuff like that. Nothing that I can imagine would effect the voltage.

Given the symptoms, where are some spots to look?

Thanks in advance.

The weirdest part to me is after disconnecting the Squid my supply voltage only rises and sits at 7.5V for a few minutes before returning to normal.

Your PSU is going into some sort of overcurrent / thermal protection shutdown. You'll probably want to avoid doing this too many times.

Can you post a pic?

Back