Voltage inverter board with polarity protection - stripboard / vero

andare

Hi, I'm building PNP germanium fuzzes and I need a voltage inverter board. Since I know nothing I'm not sure which of the following layouts work for adding a 1N5817 diode for polarity protection. #2 is the most convenient because the diode lays flat and the board isn't big. There is a trace cut under the diode of course.
Also, do the caps need to be 10uF and 47uF or can they both be 10uF? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 13.18.43.png

Last edited:
All three of those layouts will work with a 1N5817 diode. And using 10µF cps in both places is fine.

If the 1N5817 is standing on end, it doesn't matter because the caps will stand at about the same height.

All three of those layouts will work with a 1N5817 diode. And using 10µF cps in both places is fine.

If the 1N5817 is standing on end, it doesn't matter because the caps will stand at about the same height.
Thank you. I'm thinking of laying the caps on their side if they fit, that's why I wanted to avoid standing the diode up.
My concern is I didn't know if #2 would work because in my uneducated mind, +9V reaches pin 8 before pin 1 and I don't know if this makes a difference.

As long as both pins are fed 9v it doesn't really matter have a look at the MAX1044 or 7660S datasheets they have pretty good explanations in their typical applications of how it works

I used my polarity protection diode as a kinda on board connection to the DC jack to secure the inverter board in place

I'm a wee bit paranoid with power boards moving around as you can see in the pic the kids craft foam wasn't really needed it wasn't going anywhere with the diode securing it, but no chances taken

As long as pins #1 & #8 are tied together, order or direction of connection makes no difference. What does make a difference is determined by which chargepump is used. Not all of them require pins #1 & #8 to tied together. Datasheets are your friend.

As long as both pins are fed 9v it doesn't really matter have a look at the MAX1044 or 7660S datasheets they have pretty good explanations in their typical applications of how it works

I used my polarity protection diode as a kinda on board connection to the DC jack to secure the inverter board in place

I'm a wee bit paranoid with power boards moving around as you can see in the pic the kids craft foam wasn't really needed it wasn't going anywhere with the diode securing it, but no chances taken
I thought about using the diode to hold the board. Now that I've built the inverter I realize I don;t know how to secure it to the enclosure...

20221211_205940 (1).jpg

You could add a cut off diode pin on the 9v row in place of the 9v wire to secure it to the DC jack

It was more just to share this method I found it easy with diode pins being nice and stiff to position and secure it in place on the side wall

You could add a cut off diode pin on the 9v row in place of the 9v wire to secure it to the DC jack

It was more just to share this method I found it easy with diode pins being nice and stiff to position and secure it in place on the side wall
That's a good tip. I haven't added any wires to it yet because the main circuit board doesn't work. Woe is me :) I used the diode leads for the links. Nice and stiff.
Thanks!

What voltage inverter board is that? I wish I could design my own instead of using stripboard.

It may also be worth trying to redesign the circuit for PNP depending on the build.

I’ve had success with simpler circuits, and saves on parts/cost/noise.

It may also be worth trying to redesign the circuit for PNP depending on the build.

I’ve had success with simpler circuits, and saves on parts/cost/noise.
I build on eyelet boards so I need a separate inverter board

Back