volume attenuator recommendation

almondcity

All,

My friend wants a pedal to go in the effects loop of his amp so that he can turn the volume down while keeping the gain of the preamp. Am I correct in thinking this is just a simple volume knob? I can't help but think there is something that might be more useful in there

Thanks

Edit: I will add that my combo amp does not have an effects loop so I've never used one and am clueless in general about them. I think he's got a Supro amp

some interesting threads on the Marshall forum site discussed here:

You can attenuate up to a point with an efx loop volume box, there's a bunch of them out there. But tbh, I don't think he'll be happy.
I've used them and never liked them. Better off with a true reactive load type attenuator. You'll get the "feel" from power tubes that you won't with a loop attenuator.

All,

My friend wants a pedal to go in the effects loop of his amp so that he can turn the volume down while keeping the gain of the preamp. Am I correct in thinking this is just a simple volume knob? I can't help but think there is something that might be more useful in there

Thanks

Edit: I will add that my combo amp does not have an effects loop so I've never used one and am clueless in general about them. I think he's got a Supro amp
There is one out the for the blues deluxe. It is just a volume knob. I built one for mine.

it’s a good enough solution for the price but I agree that an attenuator will be better at the end of the day.

I built this one:

There is one out the for the blues deluxe. It is just a volume knob. I built one for mine.
Hey. I have a blues deluxe reissue and would like to tame the volume whille still having it sounds great.

What did you make for this? Do you have a schematic I can refer to?

Or is it just a potentiometer in the effects loop?

Hey. I have a blues deluxe reissue and would like to tame the volume whille still having it sounds great.

What did you make for this? Do you have a schematic I can refer to?

Or is it just a potentiometer in the effects loop?
I actually built an LPB1 and wired it between the jack and the stomp. When there’s no power plugged in, it works as an attenuator with full unity when the pot is maxed. Then the effect send is wired to a second output jack so it also acts as a channel splitter. I originally had a tuner on that out jack. It would act as a mute for tuning while taking the tuner out of the chain. It ultimately never got implemented, so now it’s an attenuator.

Back