War Scythe, minor issues but great fuzz

uranium_jones

So here’s my second pedal build, a War Scythe. For the Tone Bender side I used an MP-38 that I got on eBay from Russia. The Muff uses a pair of transistors that are labelled 2N1308, although they don’t have the Texas Instruments logo that I see on a lot of others.

This one would have been entirely functional out of the gate, but when I attached one of the knobs, the set screw broke, leaving me with a knob that wouldn’t come off the shaft. I end up destroying my potentiometer getting it off. So, I attached one of Tayda’s long-prong potentiometers after I clipped it short and attached it via lead wires. Also, I must have severed a trace for the Tone Bender’s LED because it wouldn’t activate. Hence the visible jumper wire in the photo.

The real thing I wanted to try this time was messing with the graphics. I ordered a grey enclosure from Tayda and sprayed it white. After some clear coat I tried waterslide decals for the first time. I’m really glad I tried a blank decal first, to get the feel of how it handles. If I had tried it with a real graphic, it would have been totally ruined.

Anyway, I decided to do a real quick test of the pedal and upload it to YouTube. But I played with it a lot more today and I can say it is probably now the most versatile fuzz pedal I own. The only complaint is that the octave effect is a bit weak, and once all three pedals are activated, there is a high-pitched sine wave noise that just won’t go away. Maybe I messed up a solder joint somewhere?

Attachments

• IMG_20210214_015946_129-02.jpeg
    IMG_20210214_015946_129-02.jpeg
    424.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20210214_015946_133-01.jpeg
    IMG_20210214_015946_133-01.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 52
I had the same issue with weak octave on mine. I did not use diodes with matched forward voltage. Does anyone know if that makes a difference as far as the octave performance in this circuit?

No high pitched noise on mine though.

Back