Waterslide decal question

mad5066

So I'm not new to making pedals but figured I would try out using a water slide decal and looking for advice. I was planning on printing a rectangle, covering the whole enclosure. I was going to adhere it to the box first and spray some protective acrylic and then drill the holes. Is this how you guys normally do it?

There's lots of tutorials and info out there on the web. Here's a good video to watch a couple times.

Definitely drill the holes in the box first before applying the decal. After the decal has dried (I usually wait 24 hours after applying) you can cut the holes out of the decal with an exact I knife or something similar. Drilling the holes after the decal is applied would tear the decal, I'd think.

If your printer is inkjet, you have to spray it with a clear coat before soaking it in water or the ink will dissolve. Laser printers don't have this issue.

After the decal is applied and dries and you've cut the holes out, spray it with a few layers of clear coat to protect it like you were planning.

Back