What pedal would you buy even if DIY was an option?

JamieJ

Seeing that the DSM Humboldt may be getting a trace, I started to look at a few demos on YouTube and was pretty amazed.

For my home scenario that is the perfect pedal to play through headphones at home.

Even if that pedal doesn’t get traced I would 100% buy it with out any doubts.

Do you have a pedals that you would pay full retail for without question?

I paid up for two pedals recently.

The first was the Megabyte by Caroline. This is a tasty Pt2399 style delay, which my Magnetron build can pretty much replicate 90%, but I really like Caroline’s story and design and feel great about the purchase. Also, running the magnetron and megabyte together makes some amazing sounds.

The second was the Supro Tremolo. Several options to replicate but there is just something about that pedal that opens up my guitar. I believe it’s the transformer, but either way another purchase I do not regret.

My HX Stomp. It basically does everything and it does it really well. It works great with my amps as a straight up effects pedal in the front or in the loop, I can use it as my entire rig through studio monitors, it sounds great with analogue pedals into it's own effects loops which means I can change the order of analogue pedals, it's a recording interface with my laptop AND I can run it off a battery pack in the living room at night with a set of headphones.

Easily the best musical gear purchase I've made in at least the last 10 years.

Seeing that the DSM Humboldt may be getting a trace, I started to look at a few demos on YouTube and was pretty amazed.

For my home scenario that is the perfect pedal to play through headphones at home.

Even if that pedal doesn’t get traced I would 100% buy it with out any doubts.

Do you have a pedals that you would pay full retail for without question?

Funny, I was just trying to establish a comfort zone for buying a cab/amp sim so I can have a good way to practice with nice headphones and my pedalboard.

I was reading a ton about the Humboldt last night. I have to agree with you that I’d buy an Iridium or Humboldt.

I also think I’d buy a Boonar as well, even though the Hydra is an option.

I bought a few pedals last year including a 25th anniversary red llama that I got dead stock on the cheap with all the goodies still in the box and now is worth 3x what I paid, and a Strymon deco that simultaneously does what it advertises it does and is pretty underwhelming.

I also like buying analogman stuff cuz it always ends up being worth way more than its cost in pretty short order.

I'm currently waiting patiently for a deal on my favorite delay pedal so I can have a second one for science.

Oh and I'd buy a red panda tensor in a heartbeat if I had a job.

I like building pedals but I like buying em too. Especially if they look cool. Been burned several times buying cool looking pedals that were total ass *cough cough royal jelly*

I bought a few pedals last year including a 25th anniversary red llama that I got dead stock on the cheap with all the goodies still in the box and now is worth 3x what I paid, and a Strymon deco that simultaneously does what it advertises it does and is pretty underwhelming.

I also like buying analogman stuff cuz it always ends up being worth way more than its cost in pretty short order.

I'm currently waiting patiently for a deal on my favorite delay pedal so I can have a second one for science.

Oh and I'd buy a red panda tensor in a heartbeat if I had a job.

I like building pedals but I like buying em too. Especially if they look cool. Been burned several times buying cool looking pedals that were total ass *cough cough royal jelly*

Have you played the 25th anniversary vs a standard red llama? I only discovered the llama circuit recently and absolutely love it. I've been trying to decide if the version with a hi cut is worth building or if it won't really give me anything over a standard llama.

Have you played the 25th anniversary vs a standard red llama? I only discovered the llama circuit recently and absolutely love it. I've been trying to decide if the version with a hi cut is worth building or if it won't really give me anything over a standard llama.
Previously I only had one I built. It was a kit I had bought several years ago and the input cap value was way way off but I kinda liked it. I've been meaning to play around with it in some other builds but never got around to it. For me, the hi cut control is not essential. I say don't overthink it, or build both versions!

Reactions: fig
My mind is now engaged in geometric gymnastics trying to visualize how to fit a Boonar/Hydra, Simplifier and Ampeg Scrambler on my cramped pedalboard and not look like crap.

• Haha
Previously I only had one I built. It was a kit I had bought several years ago and the input cap value was way way off but I kinda liked it. I've been meaning to play around with it in some other builds but never got around to it. For me, the hi cut control is not essential. I say don't overthink it, or build both versions!
Thanks for that. I was going to build a second but had mostly talked myself out of it as I'm really happy with the one I've already built. You've just confirmed what I was already thinking.

Honestly most of them besides the mega-hyped boutique stuff, which frankly I probably wouldn’t build either just because none of that stuff ever really appeals to me all that much. I don’t build pedals to do it cheaper than I could buy it for in most cases— I build stuff because it’s fun or because what I want isn’t available elsewhere, either because it’s an obscure circuit from long ago with no modern equivalent, or because it’s something I designed myself or modified to my own specs.

I want to support other pedal makers too, and if it’s an original design I’m not gonna avoid buying their stuff just because I personally can make it cheaper. I’m also a sucker for cool graphics, so if there’s a $100 pedal with much cooler graphics on it than I’d be able to design for myself, there’s not even a second of hesitation to get that one instead of saving a buck by making it myself. The guitar pedal world is a community, and I feel you should give just as much as you take, and if you don’t have the ability to be one of the Chuck Bones or RG Keens of the world, then the best way to give back is by supporting the original makers through the purchase of their goods.

Unless it’s a Fulltone pedal that is, I’m *never* buying from Mike.

Call me a one trick pony (and it’s true) but a Two Notes Le Lead.... that’s my current one I’m hyper focused on lately.... until I see something else shiny.

PANDA FUTURE IMPACT

Jumped on it when it was but a gleam in the eye of the designer (who designed both the Akai Deep Impact and Unibass which the Future Impact can do both pedals' sounds and Sssssooohhhh Mmmmmmuuuuuuch more)

View attachment 16412

What about moving that row down so the lower border of the pedal is flush with the bottom of the board? That should give you a middle row you can use to mount pedals horizontally.

That should give you space for three more! 😉

It would throw off all my top mounted connections. It would technically make more room but with patch cable no longer hanging over the lip of that board, they’d be in the way of the new middle row.

I think what I need is for it to be wider and with narrow top boards.

Back