Where can I find this type of knob?

JTEX

Does anyone know where I can find this style of knobs? They're for pots that sit fully inside the gear (shaft does not stick out). Used on some mixers. I have a few, don't remember where they came from. I Googled all the way to the last page of the Internet...

Attachments

• PXL_20230302_032417718~2.jpg
    PXL_20230302_032417718~2.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 66
...But it's not the right type of knob for me. What I'm looking for is designed for pots located entirely under the surface of the panel -- not screwed on to the panel. The knob needs to have an extension that goes through the panel and into the piece of gear. Similar to this Mackie mixer knob:
k.png

Would just a regular potentiometer shaft extender let you do this with other knobs? I've seen some made of plastic and some super heavy duty ones before. I'm a knob nerd and feel like I've seen some like this before but can't find any right now for the life of me.

Would just a regular potentiometer shaft extender let you do this with other knobs? I've seen some made of plastic and some super heavy duty ones before. I'm a knob nerd and feel like I've seen some like this before but can't find any right now for the life of me.
I tracked down some, but they're for D shafts, and mine's knurled. Looks like I might have to consider a 3D printer. Or cannibalizing some old mixer.

Might these work?

0823-6__10438-800x800.jpg

Looks like 3d printing is the easiest way to go. I'd print only the extension shaft and take existing knob.

Synthcube; "these" was linked in my post (#6).
Arrrrrgh, they charge at least US$25 to ship $4 worth of knobs from the U, S and A to Canadia. This is why we end up buying s#!t from China, and then everyone complains that we ship out our own jobs. FFS, I charge less than that to ship my JTEX gadgets anywhere in the WORLD!
/<endrant>

!

I hear you, loud and clear!

I picked up a few in my last Synthcube bulk-order, just to see what they're like — a couple orange and a few grey.

Alrighty then, let me just grab 'm and see ...

5CE40820-F87D-4576-8BCA-9FAE86FB3CC7.jpeg

First of all, I thought they'd be rubbery, they are HARD plastic.

I tried to put the orange ones on the 16mm pots and grey on the 9mm trimmers for contrast:

- They do NOT fit a 6.35mm shaft diameter (whether the 16mm pots in the above pic or 9mm pots); you'd crack the plastic knob if you forced it.

- They DO fit a 6mm shaft diameter as shown above with the 9mm trimmers.

I didn't press the micro-knob all the way on the trimmer as it's a tight fit and would be a pain to get it off again, but I did lay the knobs next to the shafts so you can see they don't really extend the length much even if you put them on partially (and through usage you may end up pushing them on further and further until they're almost entirely inside the enclosure.

I'll definitely be ordering some more of them for a few projects I have, whenever SynthBear has another sale and I need some other stuff.

They're perfect for the right application, alas I don't think your project-needs suit, JTEX.

Sorry, these are not the pot-extender knobs you were looking for.

star-wars.gif

Move along...

Arrrrrgh, they charge at least US$25 to ship $4 worth of knobs from the U, S and A to Canadia. This is why we end up buying s#!t from China, and then everyone complains that we ship out our own jobs. FFS, I charge less than that to ship my JTEX gadgets anywhere in the WORLD!
/<endrant>
Even in the US, synthcube winds up being more expensive than Thonk for me. Might be cheaper for you in Canada as well. They also have a lovely looking knurled version that I will try in my next order.

Sorry, these are not the pot-extender knobs you were looking for

This is most useful, many thanks!! Where in Canada are you? I want to take you out for a beer.

Now that you have them out, could you please measure their length? Does the hole go all the way inside, or does it stop short of the top?

In my project, the knob only need to stick a little bit out of the side of the pedal, just enough to be able to turn it (and get a grip on it to pull it out if I want to be able to disassemble the pedal...). It's for the phones volume, sitting next to a 3.5mm jack. Looks like I'll have to re-locate the pot so the shaft end is as close to the edge of the PCB as possible, since these knobs are quite a bit shorter than what I'm using on the prototype.

Even in the US, synthcube winds up being more expensive than Thonk for me.

Surely Synthcube must have a business account with USPS, so they pay much less than retail prices for shipping. I'm a tiny, part-time, one-man microbusiness, and still have a Canada Post business account. It costs me about C$10 to ship a 1" thick, padded envelope to the US, and my "volume" is about one per week!

Digikey practically teleports even the smallest orders by FedEx from US to Canada for a flat C$8. Even Mouser has a $8 USPS option...

To answer a question nobody asked: I couldn't just place the pot on the top and avoid this whole problem, because (a) it's dual gang, deeper that all the other single pots, and also a different style, and (b) every possible bit of space is already taken on the top anyway :

Attachments

• PXL_20230302_172957552.jpg
    PXL_20230302_172957552.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 13
Even in the US, synthcube winds up being more expensive than Thonk for me. Might be cheaper for you in Canada as well. They also have a lovely looking knurled version that I will try in my next order.

I forgot about the tall-shaft trimmers! I actually have a few of the Song Huei, waiting for the right project/need.

Back