Where to begin?

Bricksnbeatles

Member known well
I finish the current semester in two weeks, and besides a 6 week ASL class I'll be taking, I don't have much planned for the summer, so I figure now is a good time to start learning to program FV-1 stuff. Any recommended resources for learning the basics of coding in a way that will be relevant to writing FV-1 programs down the line? I can mess around with spin cad and all that, but I'd really like to take the time to learn how to develop a patch from the ground up, however long it will take me.

Any books, YouTube channels, etc. that would be helpful for setting the foundations of this type of programming? Not necessarily FV-1 or audio related even, but just something for building a basic skillset for the type of stuff that I'd eventually be messing around with for the FV-1.

Honestly all the stuff on the spin semi site (knowledge base section) is probably the most helpful for theory. It’s dense, takes a few readings, and I’ve circled back to topics several times. Then I think studying existing programs, line by line. There are several free ones on the spin semi site, and also an fv-1 forum.

Here is your course syllabus:
  1. Build your flashable FV-1 pedal
  2. Install DigitalLarry's SpinCad Designer and create a patch
  3. Export the ASM and save it to a text editor that can do syntax highlighting
  4. Notice that SpinCad Designer creates messy ASM because of it's modular design; everything is a generic building block with connectors
  5. Refer to Spin FV-1 Instructions and Syntax to understand what each instruction is doing
  6. Rewrite the patch from scratch, only using a text editor
  7. Cleanup the code and make it human understandable
    1. Add comments using ';'
    2. Name registers using 'equ'
    3. Trim out anything unnecessary
  8. Post it here to get feedback

A basic pitch shift should be fairly easy to find (or create in SpinCAD).

The dual pitch shift algorithm in the EEPROM Builder will do it.

If you mean pitch shifting of individual strings at different intervals then no, I misunderstood, that's not happening with the FV-1.

I think you'll need some hardware capable of FFT for that.

If you're just wanting to drop the entire signal down by a few semitones the FV-1 can do that... in fact it does pitch down far better than pitch up.

I've been meaning to add a quantized mode that steps the pitch control in semitones but I haven't gotten around to it.

For now you'd just have to dial it in to the amount of shift you wanted.

So here’s a question what hardware are you guys using to flash the EEPROM? I have come across a few options but unsure what would be compatible and economical for our use.

I use the FV-1 rev board from pedalpcb. Idk if it’s the ‘most economical’, but I like that you can flash and test effects in one box.

i put mine in a 1590BB and I mounted an external socket for the eeprom, with a switch to select internal or external. That way it’s good for testing patches with the internal, and flashing chips for other projects with the external. Of course, you could just not install the back lid and get a similar experience.

Back