Whiskey River (Complex OD)

jubal81

Mentioned in another thread, but this is my favorite MIAB among all I've ever built. Sounds every bit as good as the demos.
Only substitute I made was using TLC2272 because I didn't have any 072s on hand. Sounded so good, I just left them in there. Just have to remember not to plug in 18V because the 2272s are 16V max. They're also rail-to-rail.

Whiskey-Front.jpg

Whiskey-Gut.jpg

IMG-0692.jpg

Last edited:
Cool Build!
''Whiskey River take my mind,
Don't let her mem'ry torture me.
Whiskey River don't run dry,
You're all I've got, take care of me.''
W. Nelson

That looks awesome! Where did you get that stand at? I have been looking for something like that for a long time.

That's awesome that you mentioned the Supersuckers! I'm pretty sure I've never heard them come up in a DIY build report before. ;)

Now of course I will need to hunt down a demo of this circuit as it was totally not on my radar!

That's awesome that you mentioned the Supersuckers! I'm pretty sure I've never heard them come up in a DIY build report before. ;)

Now of course I will need to hunt down a demo of this circuit as it was totally not on my radar!

Bret! Definitely recommend this build. It actually works a lot better as an OD than the original Whiskey River you might remember from Madbeans.

DSC_7472.jpg

DSC_7496.jpg

DSC_7504.jpg

Bret! Definitely recommend this build. It actually works a lot better as an OD than the original Whiskey River you might remember from Madbeans.
A wicked Build & Graphic!
Have you played around with different Tubes, I find nearly all the Tube based pedals sound best with any 12A-7, not with 12AX7.
Want to try out the Sib Cuda Light version that runs at high plate voltage @ 9V.
Rockett (SIB) sells the standard reduced at $99.00 but the Lght version Clear Knob is around $199.00

I have the rare Hermida Nu Valve which uses Nuvistor Mini tin can tubes, Cool pedal !
Hermida ZEN II
3 Butler Real Tube Black Box's
Butler Real Tube Blue Box
Butler Tube Driver with Bias
Maxon ROD 881 Dual
Fryette S.A.S Tube Distortion
D.I.Y Valve Caster

A wicked Build & Graphic!
Have you played around with different Tubes, I find nearly all the Tube based pedals sound best with any 12A-7, not with 12AX7.
Want to try out the Sib Cuda Light version that runs at high plate voltage @ 9V.
Rockett (SIB) sells the standard reduced at $99.00 but the Lght version Clear Knob is around $199.00

I have the rare Hermida Nu Valve which uses Nuvistor Mini tin can tubes, Cool pedal !
Hermida ZEN II
3 Butler Real Tube Black Box's
Butler Real Tube Blue Box
Butler Tube Driver with Bias
Maxon ROD 881 Dual
Fryette S.A.S Tube Distortion
D.I.Y Valve Caster
Someone saw the build on TheGearPage and bought it. I meant to build another and never did. Gonna check out that Hermida. I've never heard of it.
Actually, I was looking at Dumble schematics this morning, thinking about another tube preamp pedal.

Yes! I totally remember the original Whisky River. I was kind of scared to take one of those builds on due to the voltages, etc. But man, that was a cool project.

Ha, I got blasted on it once or twice. Was like an optical illusion because there were no transformers or anything remotely resembling an amplifier.

Back