Who we really are

thewintersoldier

We all have screen names and some of us have avatars but I thought it would be cool to do some actual introductions to put a name and face with the pedals. It's also kinda neat to know what you do for a living since most of us do this as a hobby. I'll go first. I'm Chris, I'm 38, Married with two daughters (Lord help me lol) a cat and dog and an unhealthy obsession with musical equipment. By day I work at the Detroit Veterans Hospital in the O.R. and Endoscopy. Im a Taurus who really likes fuzz, modulation and analog delay. Fun fact- the sterile gowns we use at work have my avatar!
0qh7ddf.jpg

jjjimi84

I love it! My name is Dan, I am 37, with one son, Dean and one wife, Erin and a dog, Sam. Everyone of them will most likely be a part of my youtube videos where I poorly play guitar and talk about effects I built. I have been building pedals since 2006, amps since 2008 and parts guitars for even longer. Since getting the diy pedal bug, I have built damn near everything one can to play and record, from my desk, computer, pre amps, compressors, cables, mics, sound panels…….

My real job that pays for this obsession is a yardmaster for the railroad. I have been with the railroad for 17 years from conductor to engineer to ydm to trainmaster back to ydm. I love my job, it is always challenging but much prefer building painting and recording.

I didn’t start painting my pedals till around late 2018 and didn’t start really hitting the paints until early 2020. I love this community and love seeing everyones builds.

thewintersoldier

I love it! My name is Dan, I am 37, with one son, Dean and one wife, Erin and a dog, Sam. Everyone of them will most likely be a part of my youtube videos where I poorly play guitar and talk about effects I built. I have been building pedals since 2006, amps since 2008 and parts guitars for even longer. Since getting the diy pedal bug, I have built damn near everything one can to play and record, from my desk, computer, pre amps, compressors, cables, mics, sound panels…….

My real job that pays for this obsession is a yardmaster for the railroad. I have been with the railroad for 17 years from conductor to engineer to ydm to trainmaster back to ydm. I love my job, it is always challenging but much prefer building painting and recording.

I didn’t start painting my pedals till around late 2018 and didn’t start really hitting the paints until early 2020. I love this community and love seeing everyones builds.
Unlike Dan I'm indifferent about my job. It's something I fell into 20 years ago and made good money doing. Like many people, I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up so I just decided to not decide lol. If you don't figure out what you want you just end up with a lot of you don't. It is what it is, and it's not that I don't care, it's just that I don't care. Plus I have a lot of fringe benefits working for the man.

Barry

I’m Barry and that’s me in my avatar, I’m twice divorced and currently living with a girlfriend from my youth who is a widow, I have a daughter from my first and two sons from my second mistake, and four grand children ages one to ten, I’m a hvac technician in the south so I have very little time for my hobby in summer

Bricksnbeatles

I’m nick, 22 years old, from New York. I was a full time student, but I hated the university I was at, so currently I have free time 24/7 until I can find a job and a new school to transfer to so I can finally get my bachelors degree out of the way. In addition to playing guitar and building pedals, I also enjoy composing orchestral and other ensemble music, woodworking (including lutherie and woodturning), writing, hanging out in nature, and spending time with my two awesome dogs!

finebyfine

IMG_6595.jpg

Howdy! I'm Alex. I live in St. Louis, MO. I'm 28 and am a manager of a tattoo shop and graphic designer. I have pretty steady work from a circle of small businesses semi connected to the tattoo shop that usually (and thankfully) just want work with my vibe. As a tattoo nerd I get to feel like a kid in a candy store running the behind the scenes stuff of the tattoo shop.

Nice to meet you guys :)

peccary

@thewintersoldier It's a good ting I don't live in MI as there's a good chance you'd have seen more of me than my wife has! I've been getting colonoscopies for the better part of my life - had my first one when I was 16! (pretty gnarly family history with colon cancer).

Anyways - I'm Joe, from southern California. I work at a university helping students who have been/are being kicked out of school for poor academic performance. It can be stressful and heart-wrenching in some cases. Many times I am treated as a social worker or therapist though I have no training for that, it's just unfortunate that those services are not available for many young people and they end up in my office before I can connect them to an actual social worker who can help them get what they need.

Like @thewintersoldier I kind of fell in to it. I was a graduate student doing similar work at another university and when I graduated with my MA in the prosperous year of 2008 (lol) I was fortunate enough to be hired where I am now. I had planned on getting a Ph.D. but after spending so long attending and working in universities I became completely disillusioned with higher education. I would like a job that challenges me more (as opposed to being emotionally challenging) and would like to get out of higher ed, but it's hard to leave a steady job with great benefits that you can leave at 5 and not have to think about until the next day (even if the pay isn't great). Now I just try to challenge myself outside of work with hobbies and don't really expect to get anything all that fulfilling from work. I do enjoy helping people and problem solving, and I get to do that at work sometimes, but mostly it's just answering basic questions over and over.

thewintersoldier

@thewintersoldier It's a good ting I don't live in MI as there's a good chance you'd have seen more of me than my wife has! I've been getting colonoscopies for the better part of my life - had my first one when I was 16! (pretty gnarly family history with colon cancer).

Anyways - I'm Joe, from southern California. I work at a university helping students who have been/are being kicked out of school for poor academic performance. It can be stressful and heart-wrenching in some cases. Many times I am treated as a social worker or therapist though I have no training for that, it's just unfortunate that those services are not available for many young people and they end up in my office before I can connect them to an actual social worker who can help them get what they need.

Like @thewintersoldier I kind of fell in to it. I was a graduate student doing similar work at another university and when I graduated with my MA in the prosperous year of 2008 (lol) I was fortunate enough to be hired where I am now. I had planned on getting a Ph.D. but after spending so long attending and working in universities I became completely disillusioned with higher education. I would like a job that challenges me more (as opposed to being emotionally challenging) and would like to get out of higher ed, but it's hard to leave a steady job with great benefits that you can leave at 5 and not have to think about until the next day (even if the pay isn't great). Now I just try to challenge myself outside of work with hobbies and don't really expect to get anything all that fulfilling from work. I do enjoy helping people and problem solving, and I get to do that at work sometimes, but mostly it's just answering basic questions over and over.
If I still lived in Bakersfield that might be the case. I was born there and moved to Detroit in 96 cause my dad is from here. I miss the good weather, smog and hanging with my cholos. I miss surfing at Pismo beach. As for work, it's just a job, not what defines us. As hard as the past year and a half has been as a front line worker in a hospital I guess it's good to be able to have the life I do especially being a college drop out with 200 credit hours lol

wintercept

Hi y’all, I’m Steve. Gemini, born year of the dragon. I am a full time college student from CT, currently pursuing a BS in marketing. I have worked for an electrician mostly doing labor and security system/computer stuff. I currently pick up hours as a “tech tutor” at my school, where I mostly do IT stuff on the hardware side, checking classroom equipment weekly, and other odd tasks at the library.

I chose a marketing degree because it’s versatile. Everyone expected me to pursue engineering, but I think it would’ve killed the fun of making things for me.

I am involved in my school’s campus activities board and commuter councils, leading me to develop an interest in higher ed and student services. @peccary, thank you for the work that you do. I’ve seen first hand how poor academic performance often stems from greater issues students face in and out of school (often REALLY messed up stuff), and many times it’s professors, advisors, RA’s, and staff like you that can make the biggest difference to them.

My other hobbies include computer building, gaming, gardening, beekeeping, and spending time with friends and family!

I got into pedal building in high school after first learning about pedals and stumbling across DIYguitarpedals videos. My first attempt was a SHO vero layout that never worked after several attempts. I eventually made a Bazz Fuss on vero in the same enclosure. My second build was a wah pedal from scratch, using a crybaby style enclosure from Small Bear, doing the design in Diptrace and etching the PCB myself. This was for my high school capstone project.

From there, I’ve done a lot of reading and studying circuits and designs. Recently finished a bunch of builds. I hope to design some effects myself eventually. I also wanna get into blogging and maybe YouTubing pedals and other stuff, but am still thinking about how to do that.

It is nice to meet you all. This is really the only forum I am active on, and I was drawn to it after seeing how it was small, fresh, and engaging compared to the other popular pedal forums.

fig

twEhht3.jpg

I'm Tim, and I don't do selfies....but this guy could be my brother.

I'm rockin' my 6th decade like a boss! Married 42 years to the best person on earth. The "kids" are 40 and 35, and our grandson is a groovy 12.
Like a whole lot of other beans [human], we've been hangin at the hacienda since this whole nightmarish thing started, and even before. I travelled a good bit for work for years, so we especially enjoy each other's company. Like all beans, we do have our own interests and one of mine has always been music. From first conception to the continued influences on us all.
We're looking to relocate. 32yrs has taken a toll on the surrounding area. Hopefully, the new digs will include a nice space for a studio. We'll see.
Well enough about me......Who's Next?

SYLV9ST9R

Bonjour! I'm Nicolas coming to you from Hull, Québec, just across the river from Ottawa.
I'm 42, with 2 young boys (6 and 3) and their lovely mother who's been tolerating me for 15 years now.
I work as an archivist for the federal government, a job I love, but as I'm mostly in front of a computer, I think I got interest in actually building physical stuff.

I started playing guitar 3-4 years ago after a 15 years hiatus, but I had been interested in effects some years before that to play with synths, though having a guitar again prompted me to get more. I started to plan building a Tele (which hopefully I'll do this summer), but became interested in pedal building at the same time, and that took over. As I mostly play alone in my basement, I decided that it would be a good idea to be able to try new effects without breaking the bank, and learning a new skill was a plus. Also, being in Hull and having a couple of friends working at the Circuitry during the last few years, seeing their work and talking about pedals helped my thought process.

I must say it has been a wonderful 11 months of building these circuits, and this forum has been a great source of help and insight, as there are more than fine people around here.

Fuzzmax

Ok my turn. I’m Maxime, 42 years old, father of two but not with the mother anymore. I live in L’assomption, Quebec. I speak french so my english may not be perfect. I play guitar since 12 years old and started to build pedals about 8 years ago after reading an article about Oliver Ackerman (Death by audio) who explained how he started. It totally fascinated me and i learned on my own. Still learning after all these years. I’m doing this as a hobby. I am a specialized educator working with families who needs help with their children. Voilà! 4A276331-08C6-4752-9CA9-A2E0419E4DC1.jpeg

Harry Klippton

I've been known by many names, but my family calls me Will. I turned 39 yesterday, and I live on a 5 acre homestead in the northwest hills of Connecticut, USA with my wife, 8 week old daughter, dog Fury, and various livestock which currently consists of egg laying ducks and meat rabbits. I was in the middle of a career change when covid showed up but now I'm a stay at home dad.

I built my first couple pedals in 2013, took a break for a few years, and started building again in 2018. I (used to) play in grindcore bands and I used to run a small record label. Now I'm mostly into soul, country, and folk rock. My wife and I play music together quite a bit. We were in bands together and often jam at home. Screenshot_20210617-182434-842.png

peccary

I've been known by many names, but my family calls me Will. I turned 39 yesterday, and I live on a 5 acre homestead in the northwest hills of Connecticut, USA with my wife, 8 week old daughter, dog Fury, and various livestock which currently consists of egg laying ducks and meat rabbits. I was in the middle of a career change when covid showed up but now I'm a stay at home dad.

I built my first couple pedals in 2013, took a break for a few years, and started building again in 2018. I (used to) play in grindcore bands and I used to run a small record label. Now I'm mostly into soul, country, and folk rock. My wife and I play music together quite a bit. We were in bands together and often jam at home. View attachment 12800

Stay at home dad on a homestead. You pretty much just described my ideal life!

cooder

Yeah, cool to put faces and walks of life together.
I'm Stephan, 58 orbits of the sun.
Originally from Germany, immigrated to New Zealand in 1996 with my wife and son. My son lives now happily married to a girl from Missouri in the States, that's how live goes. Blessed with a Grandchild too. Sweet dog, walking daily on the beach.
I have been making music since late teenage years and I love making things and figuring out stuff, the challenge of it and often I'm admittedly chasing pipe dreams and some have been working better than others. All a fun ride though.
I feel very lucky to have grown up in Europe with all the action of big concerts and travel and big cities and super lucky to live now in an amazing place in Nelson, top of the South Island of New Zealand, a bit quieter and in my opinion pretty wholesome. That's a pipe dream that has gone very well.
Jobwise I'm pretty much unemployed looking after the house while my wife works at the coal face, my businesses I am keeping alive somewhat have died the Covid death since tourism collapsed largely and touring as well. I'm also getting too old for the later... been an amazing ride and an honour to organise and be on stage for some small scale tours in New Zealand, what a way to get around. No need for a plug here, but if you want to have a look here's my websitehttps://sgblues.com/ and no I'm not an amazing musician that you would need to follow. Just doing what I love. Playing now in a local band and organizing gigs and tours with that as much as possible.
The other thing I love doing and which has suffered business wise heaps because of you know... is making jewellery which was mostly geared at galleries and tourist market. If you like to poke your nose https://carvingbone.co.nz/
So mainly pretty nutty stuff with fun factor lots of hours and not a lot of money, still great to carve a living out at times.
H2bniwn.jpg

Let's see what's today's pipe dream to chase...? First I'll take the pooch for a walk and then I'll know... ;)