Who we really are

Harry Klippton

Yeah, cool to put faces and walks of life together.
I'm Stephan, 58 orbits of the sun.
Originally from Germany, immigrated to New Zealand in 1996 with my wife and son. My son lives now happily married to a girl from Missouri in the States, that's how live goes. Blessed with a Grandchild too. Sweet dog, walking daily on the beach.
I have been making music since late teenage years and I love making things and figuring out stuff, the challenge of it and often I'm admittedly chasing pipe dreams and some have been working better than others. All a fun ride though.
I feel very lucky to have grown up in Europe with all the action of big concerts and travel and big cities and super lucky to live now in an amazing place in Nelson, top of the South Island of New Zealand, a bit quieter and in my opinion pretty wholesome. That's a pipe dream that has gone very well.
Jobwise I'm pretty much unemployed looking after the house while my wife works at the coal face, my businesses I am keeping alive somewhat have died the Covid death since tourism collapsed largely and touring as well. I'm also getting too old for the later... been an amazing ride and an honour to organise and be on stage for some small scale tours in New Zealand, what a way to get around. No need for a plug here, but if you want to have a look here's my websitehttps://sgblues.com/ and no I'm not an amazing musician that you would need to follow. Just doing what I love. Playing now in a local band and organizing gigs and tours with that as much as possible.
The other thing I love doing and which has suffered business wise heaps because of you know... is making jewellery which was mostly geared at galleries and tourist market. If you like to poke your nose https://carvingbone.co.nz/
So mainly pretty nutty stuff with fun factor lots of hours and not a lot of money, still great to carve a living out at times.
H2bniwn.jpg

Let's see what's today's pipe dream to chase...? First I'll take the pooch for a walk and then I'll know... ;)
I had a pipe dream of moving to New Zealand sometime last year but I think I'm slightly too old for them to want me and not in any high demand job fields. And I don't really like flying

jjjimi84

Unlike Dan I'm indifferent about my job. It's something I fell into 20 years ago and made good money doing. Like many people, I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up so I just decided to not decide lol. If you don't figure out what you want you just end up with a lot of you don't. It is what it is, and it's not that I don't care, it's just that I don't care. Plus I have a lot of fringe benefits working for the man.

Similarly I said I would only do this for a few years until I grew up….

I understand completely what you are saying, I fell into my career and it has been the best ratio of shit taking to pay that I have had, so in my mind its a win. This year has been a fat turd but i feel like it has for a lot of people.

SYLV9ST9R

I was so busy ranting about my job in my first post that I forgot to mention that I am 39 years old and in Orange County. I've been married for nearly 9 years now and have a 20 month old daughter. Also, my wife is the best ever because she got me this for Father's Day:

View attachment 12808
Jealous! LOVE single pot stills! 6-7 years ago, they were a steal, but now (here at least) they have neared single malt prices.
I (half)remember a couple of nights drinking Redbreast until the wee hours...

peccary

Jealous! LOVE single pot stills! 6-7 years ago, they were a steal, but now (here at least) they have neared single malt prices
I just love the thick creaminess of pot still. There's nothing really like it. I used to be a Scotch drinker but my wife and I took a trip to Ireland 6-7 years ago and I discovered pot still whiskey and I've been in love ever since.

Barry

I just love the thick creaminess of pot still. There's nothing really like it. I used to be a Scotch drinker but my wife and I took a trip to Ireland 6-7 years ago and I discovered pot still whiskey and I've been in love ever since.
I'll have to try that, I like a Scotch now in then in winter, but prefer a good gin and tonic in Summer, but mostly I like Beer and the darker the better, funny I like Gin and Tonic, but can't stand Hoppy brews

JamieJ

Hi Everyone! It’s great to hear people’s back story. Im Jamie, I’m 31 and originally from South Wales but now Live in Nottingham in the UK. I live with my wife and two little girls (3 & 4 weeks old).

I work as a Physiotherapist (Physical Therapist for those in the US). I feel one of the lucky ones to really love my job and going to work each morning doesn’t feel like going to work. I work in the Emergency Department (love broken bones and dislocated joints) and I also teach medical students.

I got into building effects in 2014 after buying a tube amp, thinking it would sound amazing but on its own it sounded shit. So then I have entered down this rabbit hole and find it in equal parts relaxing and obsessive.

My other passion is cycling (both road and mountain biking). I particularly enjoy the long distance stuff and bike packing. I would love to do the Tour Divide one day in the US (from Banff in Canada to Antelope Wells in NM).

JamieJ

Wait...let me get this straight...you ride a bicycle from Banff (I worked there) to New Mexico...

Even if NM stood for Northern Montana I'd be impressed. Even Banff to Lake Louise.
Yeah it’s a race. The record is like 13 days. It’s insane. It’s on at the moment but from American border to American border.

https://www.dotwatcher.cc/race/tour-divide-2021

Its on my bucket list!

zgrav

What a great thread and a good way to firm up some of these long-distance exchanges that take place in the forums! My name is Steve and I live in Falls Church VA. I am in my mid-60s and when not working remotely I work in Washington DC where I am an attorney with the federal government. Originally from the mountains in NC where I plan to return part-time when I retire in the next year or so. I have been playing guitar since I hit my teenage years. I have been building pedals off and on as a hobby for almost 30 years although I took about a 15 year break somewhere along the way after my daughter was born.

zgrav

We've been searching for a property now there for some time. Torn between the beach and the blue ridge (we line in the piedmont. Unfortunately, it's a seller's market at the moment.
Cool job. Which branch?
I hear from friends that land prices are high now in Western NC, but the nearby towns within an hour of Asheville to the West on I-40 may have some better pricing.

I work at the Education Dept. on issues with colleges that participate in the student loan and grant programs.

Mcknib

I'm Billy I'm at that age where the women I want to chase are way too fast for me to catch and the ones I can catch ain't worth the chase 60 in numerical terms

Divorced funnily enough!

Would still have plenty of money if I'd taken my ex for a wee walk up the hills with a shovel

Currently work for the railway here in Scotland near loch lomond

Ex Royal Navy done way too many jobs to even think about listing them

Got 2 boys Billy and Connor 30 and 26 both as mad as their old dad one fights muay thai the other plays rugby

received_10155518726304657.jpeg

FB_IMG_1578837330807.jpg received_658578081229093.jpeg
Pic with my best pal Ian effortlessly cool dude in orange who got me into managing bands for a while

Played in bands in my youth left the navy and went busking in Europe for about 3 years managed to survive playing 3 chords fortunately they didn't have a clue what I was singing about let's just say I can sing badly in any language but luckily they took pity on me, met a few folks who are still friends to this day

Then was dumb enough to get married

Been building for around 15 years on forums for around 12 as mcknib except gpcb the 1st forum I joined where I'm Billy

Last edited:

JamieJ

I'm Billy I'm at that age where the women I want to chase are way too fast for me to catch and the ones I can catch ain't worth the chase 60 in numerical terms

Divorced funnily enough!

Would still have plenty of money if I'd taken my ex for a wee walk up the hills with a shovel

Got 2 boys Billy and Connor 30 and 26 both as mad as their old dad one fights muay thai the other plays rugby

View attachment 12829

View attachment 12827View attachment 12831
Pic with my best pal Ian effortlessly cool dude in orange who got me into managing bands for a while

Played in bands in my youth left the navy and went busking in Europe for about 3 years managed to survive playing 3 chords fortunately they didn't have a clue what I was singing about let's just say I can sing badly in any language but luckily they took pity on me, met a few folks who are still friends to this day

Been building for around 15 years on forums for around 12 as mcknib except gpcb the 1st forum I joined where I'm Billy
Great to hear your story Billy. My brother is an ex Royal Marine.

Mcknib

Great to hear your story Billy. My brother is an ex Royal Marine.
Best soldiers the UK has to offer imho Jamie, I'll say that even though my brothers an ex para! had a great time when I was quartermaster at Faslane with 45 commando haha let's just say I was under pun a few times

Apparently I was the only ever matelot to receive the honour of a lift to the station in the RM land rover when I left, so they told me, you should be honoured we never let matelots in the land rover never mind give them a lift to the station they said but you're different haha

Good times! don't know how much money I lost on watch playing 3 card brag

peccary

Divorced funnily enough!

View attachment 12829

View attachment 12827View attachment 12831

Great stuff! I played loosehead for my college team. Not a big rugby community out here in California, but it's a passionate one! Wish I'd have kept up with it.

fig

I hear from friends that land prices are high now in Western NC, but the nearby towns within an hour of Asheville to the West on I-40 may have some better pricing.
Looked a bunch around Glenville & Sapphire, as well as down towards Landrum (Cliffs at Glassy). Who knows, maybe one day you'll find out the noise complaint you filed against that "no-guitar-playin" neighbor of yours is me!

Betty Wont

I'm Betty, I'm 42, I live in central Minnesota in a tornado-target trailer home. I have 5 kids between 12 and 22, and I work as a research chemist at a university. I've been building pedals since I was in high school in the mid 90s. I play lead bass and sing in local bands. Hardcore/artcore and classic country. I enjoy drugs. 😘