WIMA capacitors are they worth the extra cost ?

Bobbyd67

Hi guys ! I am making a shopping cart from tayda, and I got lots of boxed caps to refill. Eversince they have been selling WIMA caps I've been buying those, but to be honest I just never heard a difference between them and the old grey boxed one they still got of a 1/3 of the price.

I really am thinking of switching back to the grey ones ... I just wanted to hear you guys feedback on it, does it make a difference in guitar pedal ? Is there a advantage that I don't see ? Thanks !!!

I switched back about 2 orders ago. I can't detect a difference anywhere along the line apart from the colour. But I put 15c caps in the Les Paul and sold the bumblebees.

It's odd because in an amplifier I definitely can hear a difference between caps - or at least I'm sure I can! But in a pedal I don't know. I haven't built two otherwise identical pedals (which is harder to do than you might think) and done the test.

If a pedal is something I think is worth pursuing, ie worth experimenting with to try to get the best for my particular use, I'll often build multiples. For example with the Gauss Drive I built one completely stock. I tried one mod on it and liked where it was heading so built another to try further tweaks on, all the time comparing it to the now stock again pedal. Trouble is our ears have short memories so you need to have something to A/B against to ensure you don't go crazy.

Maybe one day I will do that - build a simple pedal with grey caps and one with red caps. I'll need to make sure that all the other components measure the same in both pedals. Then I'll see (hear?) if I can tell a difference. But until then I would think that no, I struggle to hear any difference. As Burnt Fingers said I like Wimas because they're red.

I just build two pedals with same PCB, resistors but different caps, and I played them A/B can't find anything worth the extra money, I did this to start using cheaper caps, Wima look nice IMO don't make a better sounding pedal.

I’ve measured lots of the Tayda grey box caps and never had one out of spec. They’re super solid for the price. I buy those and Kemet caps from DigiKey and am fully confident in them both. WIMA caps look nice and will give you that sunny feeling of audiophile superiority, but that’s more of a psychological question than a question of the parts integrity. I don’t fully doubt that in some cases they do sound better though, but even doing a double blind test isn’t conclusive for anything unless you have measured every single other part in your build and made sure they are the same as what you are hearing may just be slight differences elsewhere.

TL;DR. No.

For vanity’s sake, yes. Haha

That's where I am hesitant !! I mainly build to sell nowadays... When I do listings I do include gutshots... And yeah it does look more professional to my eye but is it just because I know the hobby ? In the grand scheme if I sell just one pedal I pretty much recup the cost of WIMA caps so it's I guess I'll be going full on WIMA ???

Jesus... I gotta my crap together... The tayda code is probably just a couple of days away! XD

If it's just for personal builds I wout go grey caps with no hesitation!

Attachments

• 3xjgfh.jpg
    3xjgfh.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 6
plus you can add "WIMA caps" in your product description to attract your cork sniffing buyers! even folks with no clue what that will mean will likely associate it with the red caps.

plus you can add "WIMA caps" in your product description to attract your cork sniffing buyers! even folks with no clue what that will mean will likely associate it with the red caps.
Haha I ain't there yet :p I do see it on other clones listing and it would probably help move of my inventory xD

Back