Would it be possible to turn a Sonicake Volwah into just a Wah pedal?

Chris420

I have this Volwah pedal and actually like it a lot but only the wah part lol. The volume part is anoying because i accidentally use it when i don't want to and would rather just make it a wah that turns on and off when the switch is clicked like my old crybaby. Has anyone ever done this sort of thing before?

F85254C1-79BB-4074-97F4-406EB844F9FB.jpeg

I'd audio probe the 6 points to the right of the gear-cog, I'm betting that's a dual-gang pot. With the audio probe, determine which gang is wahing and which one is voluming — then follow the trace to the ribbon cable and clip the appropriate wires.

Bonus points if you install an internal switch to turn the volume function on/off;
Double-bonus points if you wire it as an external switch;
Mega-Bonus points if you follow any of this advice and still have a working, properly functioning pedal afterwards.

I'd audio probe the 6 points to the right of the gear-cog, I'm betting that's a dual-gang pot. With the audio probe, determine which gang is wahing and which one is voluming — then follow the trace to the ribbon cable and clip the appropriate wires.

Bonus points if you install an internal switch to turn the volume function on/off;
Double-bonus points if you wire it as an external switch;
Mega-Bonus points if you follow any of this advice and still have a working, properly functioning pedal afterwards.
Thanks for the info!! Im not quite sure what you mean by audio probing? How would i got about doing that? Mounting an extrrnal switch would be easy if i new which wires were the right wires to cut. 😋 this ribbon cable im assuming is what needs to be cut.

DA7DEA89-1EAE-4C05-AA8F-AFEF9156D588.jpeg

@Chris420 — have you figured this out yet?

There's lots of tutorials on how to use a DMM to test for continuity;
and again, many tutorials on how to make your own audio probe and how to use it.

Other people have already explained it, better than I can regurgitate the info here.

It's a fun game, this version of hunt and seek. The cool thing is, if you cut the wrong wire the world doesn't blow up.

image.jpg
7h1L8lnzziNBonQnGsQIYGDF2uQTTNy0jgo0jiR7aDCbfrDLYBnbtY-lXTZj6uHAmrAg2ooYiLgjiMIEWEmaaIuYsAB5YMSlOKqzgrx6VscmKlAbRQTtjGmXdOotWU8SuXR5l6mUytWYtqxq1-AqdHQ1veMo1FWj6KU

BEFORE you start ... Take lots of photos (more than you think you need) from every angle possible as to how that ribbon's connected, worse comes to worst, you can simply replace the entire ribbon.

@Chris420 — have you figured this out yet?

There's lots of tutorials on how to use a DMM to test for continuity;
and again, many tutorials on how to make your own audio probe and how to use it.

Other people have already explained it, better than I can regurgitate the info here.

It's a fun game, this version of hunt and seek. The cool thing is, if you cut the wrong wire the world doesn't blow up.

image.jpg
7h1L8lnzziNBonQnGsQIYGDF2uQTTNy0jgo0jiR7aDCbfrDLYBnbtY-lXTZj6uHAmrAg2ooYiLgjiMIEWEmaaIuYsAB5YMSlOKqzgrx6VscmKlAbRQTtjGmXdOotWU8SuXR5l6mUytWYtqxq1-AqdHQ1veMo1FWj6KU

BEFORE you start ... Take lots of photos (more than you think you need) from every angle possible as to how that ribbon's connected, worse comes to worst, you can simply replace the entire ribbon.
Hehe no i got kinda scared to try it thinking i would brake it but ill evetually try it out once I get more experience under my belt. thanks for the info its always appreciated!! 🙂

Back