XC Phase

caiofilipini

Just finished the XC Phase. Enclosure is temporary (bare 125B), I might do an UV print for it if I can find the time.

Tried a couple of JFET sets I matched myself. First some 2N5457s, perfectly matched, but mostly out of specs, very low Vgs(off), but they didn't sound very good.
Then I tried a perfectly matched set of 2N5458s and the thing came to life! Sounds pretty lush.

Also, as you might notice, I didn't have any 15uF at hand, so I used 10uF and 4.7uF in parallel.

Sounds great! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

PXL_20211014_040117666.jpg

PXL_20211014_035639225.jpg

I swear this forum is telepathic.

Last night, and the past few days if we are being honest, I was researching all the various P90/P45 mods out there and then I discovered the XC Phase. I'm thinking I may build this into a 1590BB and add some of the common phase mods.

Great build!

The bare look works really well here with the simple control layout.
Nice work.

Thank you!

Last night, and the past few days if we are being honest, I was researching all the various P90/P45 mods out there and then I discovered the XC Phase. I'm thinking I may build this into a 1590BB and add some of the common phase mods.

Great build!

Thank you! And that sounds like a great idea! I'll keep an eye out for your build report.

Beautiful build Caio!

Thanks, Tim! And thank you for your help with the JFET matching questions I had.

• Love
Reactions: fig

Great build!
Thats what I’m doing with mine once I have time to match some FETs.
Adding a rate switch (I prefer to have two distinct lfo ranges instead of an overall expanded range, so it’s easier to dial in the right speed) and a few other mods that should be fun— a depth knob (replacing R25 with a 1M pot), a ‘vibrato’ switch (dry kill), and an asymmetrical waveform switch

Last edited:
Just noticed the knob you’re using. Looks real snazzy!
I pickup up a few of those from small bear— I think this just sold me on what knob to use on my xc build

I'm still unsure whether I'm going to build this one. I really like my MXR Script Phase 90 (CSP101SL) and I want to get out of the "grass is greener at the other build" mentality.

Looks killer in that enclosure! How closely were you able to match the fets? Just finishing up the build myself with some 2n5952’s, but haven’t been able to get them exactly matched. Vgs(off) 2.38/2.39/2.40/2.42 is the best quad I can find, so hopefully that’ll do (famous last words :LOL:).

Back