XS Drive & Cannon Fodder MKII

jeffwhitfield

Out of the latest batch of stuff I built comes the XS Drive and Cannon Fodder MKII, two pedals that I probably wouldn't have normally built if I wasn't so damn curious about them.

The XS Drive was pretty straight-forward to put together...although I had to use a different pedal template to get the switch holes right. In terms of tone, this one definitely nails that Marshall thing that it claims. The switches definitely add a variety of tone options. One of the things I tried was to use it as a preamp through my HX Stomp....no amp, just a cabinet/IR. Works really well for that. Granted, the EQ could be improved but nothing that either an EQ plugin or pedal can't help. Great tone though.

The Cannon Fodder came next and, like the XS Drive, it was pretty easy build. Only problem I had was with the Blast switch.

The momentary switch I got turned out to be an "always on" switch. So, yeah, seems that the place I got the switch from needs to add this as a detail. Thankfully, I had a spare switch and switched it out.

The tone to me sounds a bit like a Rat...but different. It kind of has it's own thing going. Pretty hard core sound too. Makes me want to experiment to see how well it stacks with other things.

The Blast switch is...interesting. With the Low switch off, it's kind of useless. But with the Low switch on, it has something going on that could be useful. Need to experiment with it to see what I can do with it.

In terms of design, I decided to take a highly minimalistic approach and just use simple labels instead of my usual Sharpie art. Much quicker and easier for sure. Cool part is that if I want to upgrade the design I can. Pretty happy though with the generic nature of them. Simple and straightforward.

IMG_0600.jpeg
IMG_0602.jpeg

I didn't give you a bad drill template for the XS Drive did I?

The Blast switch is a feedback loop.

The feedback signal is taken just after the volume control, so the volume control interacts with the Blast switch.

I considered adding a separate "Blast" control so you could control the feedback independently, but... I try not to stray too far off course. :LOL:

The feedback signal is taken just after the volume control, so the volume control interacts with the Blast switch.

I considered adding a separate "Blast" control so you could control the feedback independently, but... I try not to stray too far off course. :LOL:
Nah. Couldn't find the actual template...so I just used the Hydra Delay for the switches and my trusty 125B template overlay for it.

I did screw up and punched a single switch instead of the dual ones for the Fodder though. :p

Yeah, I figured it was a feedback loop after I looked at the docs for the original pedal. Was working at first but figured out that the Blast only works if it's first in the chain. Buffers screw it up. Once I figured that out it nearly blasted my headphones off my head. That's when I learned that I used a switch that's on by default.

As for controlling the feedback....hmm....could post some potential mods for it I guess. ;)

It's too bad you already drilled the two footswitches.... We could have actually made a single footswitch work.

It's too bad you already drilled the two footswitches.... We could have actually made a single footswitch work.
Shit...you're right. :p

Could drill another center hole anyways and plug the other two. Might be an interesting thing to explore at the hardware store.

There's a Drill template? I couldn't find one. I did my XS build just measuring and eyeballing.
Nice builds @jeffwhitfield!

Edited.jpg
So, there aren't any build documents for this particular pedal, so I wanted to ask two main questions.

First, the value for the capacitor that is 0.68uf makes it harder to find electrolytic versions from my sources, so would a Mylar work? It looks like there isn't a film capacitor there for your build and it works right? Is yours Mylar as well? Or is it something else? And if it is Mylar, from my understanding it isn't polar dependent so it doesn't matter what way you put it in?

Second question is, most of the momentary 3PDT switches I find say on/on. Is this right? Or do I specifically have to find one that says off/on?

Other than that, the build is going well. Thanks for your insight/help.

Cheers!

-Matt

View attachment 31424
So, there aren't any build documents for this particular pedal, so I wanted to ask two main questions.

First, the value for the capacitor that is 0.68uf makes it harder to find electrolytic versions from my sources, so would a Mylar work? It looks like there isn't a film capacitor there for your build and it works right? Is yours Mylar as well? Or is it something else? And if it is Mylar, from my understanding it isn't polar dependent so it doesn't matter what way you put it in?

Second question is, most of the momentary 3PDT switches I find say on/on. Is this right? Or do I specifically have to find one that says off/on?

Cheers!

-Matt
Can't really speak to that 0.68uf cap.

But for the momentary switch, you can use just about any momentary switch, even a two-pole SPST switch. The trick though is that the default state needs to be "off". A default "on" switch won't work.

Can't really speak to that 0.68uf cap.

But for the momentary switch, you can use just about any momentary switch, even a two-pole SPST switch. The trick though is that the default state needs to be "off". A default "on" switch won't work.
Because you didn't install it or you don't know what type of cap it is? The green makes me think Mylar but I'm not sure.

So one that is listed as ON/ON doesn't work.
I'd have to find a momentary switch that is listed as OFF/ON or ON/OFF then!

Ok, might take me a longer while to find it. And you said it could be a two pole SPST. Isn't SPST single pole single throw?

If you use a 3PDT you just need a standard momentary footswitch.

ON/ON is perfectly fine, we're only concerned about connecting to one throw of the switch so it doesn't matter if the switch is ON/ON or ON/OFF.
What does matter is that you connect to a pair of lugs that are normally open. If you use a SPDT, DPDT, or 3PDT you'll need a DMM to determine which lugs to use.

These SPST switches will work, this is what I used for the prototype. These are normally open, this is what you want. Some are normally closed, you don't want those. There is less confusion involved with these since you simply connect to the two lugs and you're done. This is the type of switch I'd recommend using.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 31424

Cheers!

-Matt
It’s polarized, so you can use a tantalum.

Back