Your First Transistor Spice Rack (Input needed)

uranium_jones

While I've been around for a few months, I am constantly surprised about all the transistors that seem to pop up in schematics that I just don't have. A majority of the time this is to be expected, such as when I look up to see what an OC71 is, and what prices they command due to rarity. But sometimes something is readily available from Tayda, Smallbear, or Mouser and it's just a matter of knowing that it's out there. Things like a 2N2222 or an MPSA18, for example. I think that it would be useful to have a list of commonly available transistors to always have in stock. Not only would you rarely need to throw together an order of random stuff just to get one component, but also that I have a great array of ingredients (spices if you will) to start toying with making original design choices. Below is a list of transistors I have (or I know I need to stock up on.) I haven't included any that are exceptionally rare, but a star means they're discontinued (at least in through-hole configuration) as far as I can tell. Hopefully complete newbies can use this as a jumping off point, and seasoned pros can add to this list so that people like me don't get caught off guard with their next build.

This was basically a very long way to ask what transistors I should buy next, with the hopes that it will be useful later.

General Purpose Components:
  • 2N2222 — NPN, Silicon
  • 2N2907 — PNP, Silicon
  • 2N3904 — NPN, Silicon
  • 2N3906 — PNP, Silicon
  • 2N5087 — PNP, Silicon
  • 2N5088 — NPN, Silicon
  • 2N5089 — NPN, Silicon
  • 2N5457 — JFET, N-Channel
  • 2N5458 — JFET, N-Channel
  • 2N7000 — MOSFET, N-Channel
  • BS170 — MOSFET, N-Channel
  • MPSA18 — NPN, Silicon
  • * PF5102 — JFET, N-Channel
  • BC108 — NPN, Silicon
  • BC109 — NPN, Silicon
  • BC549C — NPN, Silicon
  • * J201 — JFET, N-Channel
Soviet Starter Kit:
  • * MP26B — PNP, Germanium
  • * MP38A — NPN, Germanium

Anyone with germanium experience here? Would love a list of that too to stock up on. Many of the ones in the older circuits are now obsolete.

General Purpose Components:
  • 2N2222 — NPN, Silicon
  • 2N2907 — PNP, Silicon
  • 2N3904 — NPN, Silicon
  • 2N3906 — PNP, Silicon
  • 2N5087 — PNP, Silicon
  • 2N5088 — NPN, Silicon
  • 2N5089 — NPN, Silicon
  • 2N5457 — JFET, N-Channel
  • 2N5458 — JFET, N-Channel
  • 2N7000 — MOSFET, N-Channel
  • BS170 — MOSFET, N-Channel
  • MPSA18 — NPN, Silicon
  • * PF5102 — JFET, N-Channel
  • BC108 — NPN, Silicon
  • BC109 — NPN, Silicon
  • BC549C — NPN, Silicon
  • * J201 — JFET, N-Channel
Soviet Starter Kit:
  • * MP26B — PNP, Germanium
  • * MP38A — NPN, Germanium
Great list

Reactions: spi
Anyone with germanium experience here? Would love a list of that too to stock up on. Many of the ones in the older circuits are now obsolete.

I made a plea today to the forum:

IME, I'd be less concerned about the exact devices and more concerned with fine tuning for each circuit. A properly (subjective) biased transistor can have it's frequency response tweaked using the capacitors in the circuit.

To me, low leakage NPN units are the way to go.

Especially with germaniums, the part number doesn't matter much. Electrons can't read. There is so much variability in them that you really just need to buy batches and sort them into useful gain buckets and leakages. I buy the cheapest lots (>$.25 each) of russian germaniums I can find and sort away. They all get used in something.

Yeah, I didn't bother with a full list of Germanium transistors, because (a) you're likely to find them in small quantities only, (b) there seems to be a lot of variability within the same model of transistor, and (c) people seem to enjoy trying whatever they can in different circuits. I did pick two Germaniumskii transistors to give a bit of a head start for experimenting with it.

Really hoping that others can add to the Silicon list, because both the 2N2907 and BC549C were discovered only after finding them in the BOMs for various PedalPCB fuzzes.

Transistors

KFLmAGw.jpg

Diodes

OeudG8d.jpg

The transistors I go through the most:

Silicon - Mostly interchangeable except for Gain (hFE):
  • 2N3904 — NPN - Common generic NPN sub
  • 2N3906 — PNP - Common generic PNP sub
  • 2N5088 — NPN - Moderate Gain
  • BC549C — NPN - High Gain - equiv: 2N5089
JFET - SMD w/Adapter PCB preferred:
  • J201 — N-Ch JFET - Low Vp/Idss
  • 2N5457 — N-Ch JFET - Moderate Vp/Idss
Germanium - Unfortunately, Ge transistor part numbers aren't that useful any more other than determining the type (NPN or PNP), frequency range (AF/RF are both OK), and application (power transistors aren't ideal). You'll either want to buy them tested in the gain range you prefer, or buy some batches & test for hFE/leakage yourself.
  • The soviet ones are pretty well picked over unless you're buying them from the motherland.
  • Chinese Ge transistors are actually not a bad deal, but make sure you buy them from someplace with good reviews. That said, I've actually had good luck with variety packs from Amazon, although YMMV.
  • If you're in a pinch, NTE germaniums have been pretty reliable for me. Local electronics shops will often carry tested & rebadged NOS transistors as NTE, but you'll pay through the nose for them ($3-6 each). If you have a good relationship with your local shop, they may even let you bring in a transistor tester to ensure you're getting the gain values you need.

Reactions: spi
My current inventory is
  • BC108
  • BS170 (only 1 left tho)
  • C1815
  • 2SC1815
  • BC184LC
  • J201
  • 2N5457
  • MPSA18
  • PN2907
  • BC550
  • 2N3904
  • 2N3906
  • BC549
  • PN2222
  • BC207B
  • Some unlabeled silicon PNP cans
  • 2N5087
  • 2N5088
  • 2N5089
Most of them are in smallish quantities (5-30), except the 2N5087, 2N5088, 2N3904, 2N3906, and 2N2222 which I think I have 100+ of each of (I think I have at least 500 3904s)

This is one of the best resources I’ve found to compare transistor specs. In pedals, I tend to socket almost all of them, so if a parts list has something unfamiliar to me, I can usually find something I have in stock that will be similar enough to use until I place my next order.

Besides, I’ve often found that when I do put in the spec’ed transistor, I liked my temp one just as much or more.

Back