Soldat Distortion (Providence SDT-2), GCI N.E.W HM-2, Frequency Interchange Filter

eh là bas ma

I built the SDT-2 because i like some SDT-1 variant very much, so i wanted to try it.

It's a great distortion able to get heavy on the low frequencies, just as i like them. It's quite different from the GCI Bass Brutalist which is based on the SDT-1. The gain texture feels a bit more precise and "conventional" on the SDT-2, in my opinion.

I wonder if there are some other interesting quad op-amps that i could try in there ?

TL74, TL64, TL84, do we have other options ?

It's not very heavy on the mids, just as i like them.

I think i still favor the SDT-1 variant, but we'll see in a few months if it's still the case.

Looks like this is the first build report about the Soldat Distortion, so i will probably add a sound sample to this report in the future.

For the artwork, i chose to build my own white washer for the 3PDT, with a piece of plastic from an ice-cream box. I chose to give it the shape of a faceplate, but it is intended to be a sophisticated plastic washer, out of deference and loyalty for this amazing little tool. The letters are phosphorescent.
IMG_20240205_093145.jpg

IMG_20240205_093120.jpg

GCI N.E.W HM-2 is amazing. I won't elaborate about it because HM-2 are popular and well known.

Let's just say that the extra controls are very useful to me, the blend control opens the possibility to use it with a bass, among other things.

IMG_20240205_093305.jpg
IMG_20240205_093247.jpg

I built the "Frequenzy" Interchange Filter inspired by a thread about bass effects on this forum. I think it was @Passinwind who said it was very useful to tame the low end and get a sharper signal, if i understood correctly.

I hope it will help me to incorporate and mix the bass a bit more smoothly with drums and guitars.

Just finished this one so i can't give my opinion yet. I will edit this build report later, to say a few words about it.

The build itself was very easy, i think this project could even be suited for beginners, although PedalPCB soldering pads are a bit narrow for unexperienced builders.

Edit : I took the time to play with this effect, i am surprised and impreesed by the results. I thought any Bass knob would be able to cut some low frequencies and essentialy do the same thing, but i was wrong.

I tried it toward the end of the signal chain, after some bass overdrives, distortions and fuzzes. Carving into the signal, there is a wide range of interesting sounds, looks like i am going to be quite addicted to this little circuit. It feels like every bass gain effect will sound better if i use this HP/LP filter.

IMG_20240205_093231.jpg
IMG_20240205_093209.jpg

Last edited:
How loud is your Soldat? From some demos it seemed like there's plenty of volume even at under 12'o clock on the volume knob, but mine needs to be at least halfway to get even unity, and it doesn't get massively loud even at full (like a decent amount, but it doesn't sound like a monster like it does in some demos).

How loud is your Soldat? From some demos it seemed like there's plenty of volume even at under 12'o clock on the volume knob, but mine needs to be at least halfway to get even unity, and it doesn't get massively loud even at full (like a decent amount, but it doesn't sound like a monster like it does in some demos).
On my build, with all controls at noon, unity gain is around 11 o'clock, meaning somewhere in the first half of the volume pot rotation, near the middle.

With all controls at max settings, unity volume is around 9 o'clock, slightly above the first quarter of the volume pot's rotation.

I did the test with the Soldat connected in a big signal chain, with 2 circuits before it, and 12 after it.

On my build, with all controls at noon, unity gain is around 11 o'clock, meaning somewhere in the first half of the volume pot rotation, near the middle.

With all controls at max settings, unity volume is around 9 o'clock, slightly above the first quarter of the volume pot's rotation.

I did the test with the Soldat connected in a big signal chain, with 2 circuits before it, and 12 after it.
Thanks! I think the volume was probably about right already, but the sound sucked. The distortion went very farty with lots of gain and/or bass. I switched the UTC TL074 to a Texas Instruments TL074 (or at least I think it might be legit, from LCSC) and there was a huge improvement. It doesn't fart out in a similar manner at all. It's still a bit bassy and weird for my taste, but I'll try it with an another guitar.

Back