Positive center barrel

Username123

Is it okay to temporarily use my pedal with a positive center jack? I don't want to do it if it is not a good idea. A positive center jack is also the only power supply jack we have.

As in you have a power supply that is + center, - barrel, and the pedal requires - center + barrel (like most pedals)?

if that is the situation don’t use the wrong polarity power supply. You may damage it, and it won’t work anyway.

here is a good post from RG Keen regarding what can happen when you use the wrong supply.

Okay I think we wired it for positive polarity. It works with the positive barrel. Does this need to be changed?

image-11.png

Most pedal power supplies are negative center, which means the pin in the center is negative, the outer sleeve is positive.

It'll work fine either way, but you just need to keep that in mind if you ever get rid of the pedal (or use a different power supply).

99% of the PCBs here won't be damaged by the wrong polarity, they just won't function. That isn't the case for some of the other PCB suppliers, so just be aware.

Back