The Mojito Deluxe

I gotta say, when it comes to low- to mid-gain OD, this thing is a good as I've ever tried.
It's received the "I've been playing my open-G tele and have no clue what time it is" award.
Only variation on mine was using 2n5457 JFETs for the clip diodes, as suggested by Chuck in his original post.

"Only variation on mine was using 2n5457 JFETs for the clip diodes, as suggested by Chuck in his original post."

Jubal81 I suspect it will sound identical. Bjorn seems to use these two Jfets almost interchangeably. I love this pedal and mainly use it with boost off. It's become my main OD for a Gibson - it's incredible.

I built this pedal a few months ago and really like its versatility. One question -- when the pedal is powered up for the first time in a day I will usually get a vey low level high pitched tone. Everything earlier in the chain is bypassed and the tone goes away if the Mojito is bypassed. But I can also switch the bypass in and out a few times on the Mojito and the tone will also go away when the Mojito is not bypassed. It gently fades away.

I have not tried swapping out the transistors in the pedal to see if a different part would eliminate the issue since it is a minor issue that usually resolves itself after a few minutes. But I wanted to ask whether a probable cause and quick fix comes to mind.

I have two of these, one built on Vero and one on a PCB and neither one does that. First thing I'd suspect is the power supply.

Thanks. I agree it could be the power supply. A bit odd that this never shows up with the many other pedals that are shifted in and out of the chain from day to day. If I overcome my inertia I may swap out the power supply and see if that takes care of it.

Switching power supplies and removing some pedals out of the chain removed any high tones from this pedal. Switching the power supply back with the reduced number of pedals also left the pedal absolutely clean. This is the Mojito, renamed the "Honey Beer" (wheat / lager / stout / malt / hops for the pots). The design is a full-top print on matte photo paper covered with wide packing tape. --

honeybee.jpg honeybeeB.jpg honeybeeC.jpg

Nice work! I guess we know how you celebrated your victory over the squeal. 🍺🍺🍺

Vero and/or outboard pot wiring can make some circuits prone to oscillation. The Mojito has a high input impedance, so it should not upset anything upstream. The output is pretty low impedance, so unless the volume is dimed it should not have a problems driving any pedal.

Seems like I was putting some stress on the power supply with too many pedals in a signal chain. Easily remedied by unplugging the power jacks from a couple not being used at the time.

It is a Tomsline, 6 9v out (5 100man, 1 1A), plus a 12v and 18v out. usually about a dozen pedals on the 9 v line counting the looper and tuner.

Back