This Week on the Breadboard: Guitar PCB D.S.O.T.M. full-up system

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
With a few mods, of course. I already described the Hi-Watt (WIIO) amp sim and Luna Fuzz (Lunar Module) sections here. Now the Phase Shifter breadboard is also completed & hooked up. A very nice trio, I must say.

Knobs & switches (L-R): MASTER VOL - BASS - TREBLE - AMP GAIN - FEEDBACK on/off - FUZZ on/off - FUZZ VOL - BRITE - FUZZ GAIN - BODY - PHASE SHIFTER VOL - VOICE - INTENSITY - RATE - RESONANCE - PHASE SHIFTER on/off

DSOTM breadboards 02.jpg

The mods I performed are constrained to something that will actually fit on the GPCB DSOTM board. If I was doing a no-holds-barred mod, I'd replace the phase shifter's LFO with a STOMPLFO chip. The stock LFO works, but it's finicky. Sinewave drive for the phase shifter sounds great. I've tried it with a lamp and with an LED. Not much sonic difference and the LED is just easier to control. I also tried UniVibe tuning and the stock phase-shifter tuning. Both sound good and I'm trying to convince myself that with the right INTENSITY & VOICE settings, the phase shifter can sound pretty damned close to a UniVibe. I'm not quite there, still a few tweaks to try.

The Luna Fuzz is tuned to Modified Diamond Peak OD specs with a JFET 1st stage, low-HFE 2nd & 3rd stages and a few R & C values altered.

Here's a close-up of the LED & LDRs with the cover off. Even with the film can cover on, stray light can leak in thru the protoboard. I have to dim the lights to get the full bottom-end of the sweep working.

The LDRs are "GL5516" that I bought on AliExpress.
That 10V 40mA lamp is "on deck." It works fine on 9V; no charge pump req'd. The phase shift stages are tuned for UniVibe in this photo.

LED, LED driver & LDRs 02.jpg

Weird to me that the standalone nostalgitone univibe and phaser pcbs are identical photocell-based circuits other than a handful of value substitutions, yet he claims that the phaser is based on the boss PH-1, which is an FET based phaser.

I dig the series tho— I have a DSOTM board that I’ll build according to chuck’s mods, and the tweed combo set (FF and Formula 55 combo) for some crazy horse style fun.

@Chuck D. Bones Was the mod from the Luna Fuzz to a modded Diamond Peak OD just a personal choice? Which Skreddy pedal was the Diamond Peak? Fuzz Driver maybe? Curious too see if you take this any further. Certainly a good idea for Gilmour fans.

@Chuck D. Bones Was the mod from the Luna Fuzz to a modded Diamond Peak OD just a personal choice?
Yes, it was. The Diamond Peak is smooth like the HFD, it's all Silicon and the filter tunings are different from the HFD.

Which Skreddy pedal was the Diamond Peak? Fuzz Driver maybe?
Diamond Peak is the latest evolution of the Major - Lunar Module - Screw Driver - Hybrid Fuzz Driver product line.
You can read about the Diamond Peak here.

Curious too see if you take this any further. Certainly a good idea for Gilmour fans.
Remains to be seen, although I'm satisfied with the Hi-Watt & Luna mods. I'm just fine-tuning the Phase Shifter section at this point.

Depths is a pretty good pedal, but the LFO doesn't make a very good sine wave. Do you use the THROB knob?
Throb knob sounds so wrong 😂 I did use it but if I’m entirely honest it doesn’t seem to do a great deal. I did an order switch to flick the pedal from first in line to last with the lunar being 2nd and pb 1st.

Back