18v vs 9v Question

MichaelW

Hey smart pedal peeps,

I'm planning my next Paragon build taking my "lessons learned" from my first Paragon build documented here.

I've got the parts to build both a Paragon Mini and full size and I've been mulling over whether I want to remove the charge pump on the full size one.

Here's my question:

What's the difference between having a dedicated onboard charge pump for 18v vs just running a non-charge pump build at 18v (assuming I have all the right voltage parts)?

Is the resulting headroom the same for either method?

Thanks in advance!

Hey smart pedal peeps,

I'm planning my next Paragon build taking my "lessons learned" from my first Paragon build documented here.

I've got the parts to build both a Paragon Mini and full size and I've been mulling over whether I want to remove the charge pump on the full size one.

Here's my question:

What's the difference between having a dedicated onboard charge pump for 18v vs just running a non-charge pump build at 18v (assuming I have all the right voltage parts)?

Is the resulting headroom the same for either method?

Thanks in advance!

18 vDC is 18 vDC.

It's a convenience thing really, i.e. 9 vDC taps are more common than 18 vDC.

If you were using digital pedals with it on an un-isolated power supply, I'd opt out of the charge pump as well. It really depends on what works for you.

Back