4148 vs IN4148

Ctrl4Smilerz

They say there is no such thing as a stupid question but there are plenty of inquisitive idiots. I'm work on my order list for a couple of projects and on the the PyroCumulus Fuzz the PCB calls for both 4148 and IN4148. I thought they were the same thing, but please educate me...

Reactions: fig
As fig said probably just a silk screen thing. Diodes and transistors are the worst to make footprints for, they are so tiny with such long names, I have a PCB where I made it just the component values instead of designators and 4148/1588 were all I could fit in a do-35 footprint.

They say there is no such thing as a stupid question but there are plenty of inquisitive idiots. I'm work on my order list for a couple of projects and on the the PyroCumulus Fuzz the PCB calls for both 4148 and IN4148. I thought they were the same thing, but please educate me...
That's 1N, not IN. Getting this stuff right is important if you're running searches.

That's 1N, not IN. Getting this stuff right is important if you're running searches.
The N-designation (as in 1N, 2N) refers to the number of 'diode junctions,' so that 1N represents diodes and 2N transistors, hence Beefheart's saying 'Fast and bulbous, also a 2N teardrop.'

I'll let myself out, shall I?

*Massive collective sigh of relief ensues from rest of forum*

That's good info there @mybud !

I knew 1N always referred to diodes, and 2N to transistors — just through long-term usage/exposure — but I never stopped to figure out the "number of diode junctions" reasoning.

Thanks!

Back