ADHD question

Markus

Hey, so I’m working on my 2nd ADHD. For the 220uf caps I used 16 volts on my first one and it works great. But I accidentally ordered 25v for my current build. Just curious what difference this would make. I noticed they are larger than the 16v in my first. Still new to this and I figured I’d ask before I encounter a potential headache. Thanks for all advice / guidance on this forum!

Actually you are better off with the 25V caps. A rule of thumb on electrolytic caps is to double the applied voltage for the voltage rating of the cap. In this case you have +9Vdc in, so you double that is +18V, 25V is the next highest rating so that's what you go with.. Don't worry about the first one with a 16V cap, it will be fine as long as you only put +9Vdc on it. A lot of "factory" pedals use 16V caps. The one thing is as you go up in voltage for the same capacitance, the cap gets physically bigger. So if you go to big it may not fit. BUT 25V is not too big!

I did a ADHD build and I had some 50v that I was able to make fit using some heat shrink for insulating the pos lead and had no problems. Not sure if that helps... but in retrospect 25v would have definitely been the way to go.

Higher voltage rating does not equal bigger size necessarily. I use low profile electrolytic caps rated rated at 25v that are the same height or shorter than my film caps.. and I have 16v caps that are enormously (stupidly) large.

Mouser is best for searching for these- Once you narrow your search by capacitance and voltage rating, you can narrow it by cap diameter and length. ;)

Back