Affinity Designer 2, Tayda UV printing, and layers in PDF

optilude

Hi,

I’m trying to create a design for Tayda’s UV printing service using Affinity Designer 2 on iPad. I’ve followed various tutorials and forum posts, not least this one.

I believe I have a file in Affinity that conforms. It has three (visible) layers: WHITE, COLOR, and GLOSS-M. It uses CMYK. The WHITE layer has everything filled in RDG_WHITE and the GLOSS-M layer has everything filled in RDG_GLOSS per the swatch linked from the article above. The canvas is the right size and lines up with my drill template. Text has been converted to curves. Etc.

When exporting from Affinity to PDF I have a lot of different options. I’m using the default “for print” one and making sure “include layers” is on, “include invisible layers” is off, and compatibility is PDF 1.7. If I export and re-import into Affinity, the layers and contents are correct.

However, if I import into Adobe Illustrator (whilst on my 7-day trial…) the layers disappear. Instead I have a single ”Layer 1” with various groups and sub-groups underneath. All the content is there and in the correct order (white, then colour, then gloss), but the actual layer information isn’t. This Affinity support forum post suggests the issue might be with Illustrator’s interpretation of PDF layers. Another Affinity forum post shows that others have the same problem.

I know Tayda says to use Illustrator, but also that others have managed without. So is it likely my file will work or will Tayda reject it?

Attachments

• Bluesmobile Tayda 03.pdf
    411.6 KB · Views: 10
You should be good to go with that pdf- no need to do anything in Illustrator. I see the 3 layers and they look good to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0971.png
    IMG_0971.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0972.png
    IMG_0972.png
    105 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0973.png
    IMG_0973.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 9
Back