Blue Powder

Domingo L

I'm gonna build a 2nd Blue Powder, but want to modify it. I want to add a BMP tonestack from fuzzdog. The purpose is so I can select either a "normal" Blue Powder as a clean boost, the hit a footswitch to kick in a 720hz midhump and small boost. The question is, where to put the BMP tonestack/boost. Should it go
1. into the input
2 . before the treble control
3. after the treble control
4. before the output
5. somewhere else
Or is there a better way.
Plus.. it must fit into a 125B
Thanks

Somehow your request has slipped through the cracks in the Internet.

The Muff tone stack is lossy, needs some kind of boost after it, so...

1. into the input — An unusual choice, but lots of gain compensation afterwards.
You could wire up the Muff tone on the back of a pot, freeform ala BEAVIS:
1665962315236.png
or with a bit of vero:
5dvi831ro2481.png

You could have adjustable mids (click "BEAVIS" link above) if you include another pot (use 9mm pots and Davies1900-style or similar knobs if you really want to squeeze it in a 1590N1).

Not sure how feeding the Powder Blue circuit a prominently scooped signal will affect the rest of the downstream sound, but it's surely worth experimenting with.

2 . before the treble control — Bump up Powder Blue's R7, perhaps
3. after the treble control — R7 again, increase it or even replace it with a trimmer to bump up the gain as needed,.
4. before the output — You'll want a recovery stage there as well as the Muff tone stack.
5. somewhere else — Sure, another build and stick on a SWTC before the master volume.

Maybe the easiest way would be to buy PedalPCB's PedalBlock Tone Control,

ToneControl-1-247x296.jpg

and then you could try it in all the positions you've suggested with alligator clips/sockets before committing to the preferred method. Like you could just take the PCB's main out and send it to the Muff Tone pot, may or may not still need to bump R7, depending on the gain drop from adding the Muff Tone Stack.

Check to make sure you've enough room between the Bass and Treble pots, but that's where I'd stick the extra pot. That might force the toggle north of it to be offboard wired and moved further up between the knobs. If you use a 9mm pot, it should all fit, but getting the PedalPCB PedalBlock onto a 9mm pot might be... interesting.

Thus far, I've only tackled the problem of adding the Muff Tone Stack, but you want a boost, too. You're running out of room in a 1590N1, but it's still doable, depending on which boost circuit you choose.

Oh, and to get the midhump in the Muff Tone Stack you might want to go here and play around with the numbers:

I ended up with Fuzzdogs mini BMP stack with gain recovery in the input of the Blue Powder. It's the modified AMZ presence with a mid bump at about 800hz. It fit with a little room to spare in a 125. With the footswitch it lets me give the Blue a nice midrange boost. Thanks for the reply

Cool!
Booster on a stompswitch such as the GuitarPCB Afterblaster was going to be my suggestion, but I had to leave before I could finish my post.

I like the FuzzDog stuff, just didn't realise it had the recovery stage on it, too. EQ & Boost on a pot — Very cool.
Glad to hear that you got it all sorted out, is there a build report for this?

I've done similar things with an overdrive and Red Rooster (Chickenhead) built into the same box. The Red Rooster is a rangemaster-style treble booster with adjustable low end, so it's an excellent and musical mid-boost if that's what you want it to be. You can built the Red Rooster with a silicon NPN transistor if you want, and cut the part count significantly.

Back