Diode substitution for the Morning Glory (Glory Hole)... Help me braintrust!

innerlight

Hello!
Just putting the finishing touches on a glory hole PCB here.
It just occurred to me I have some left over NOS diodes from a king of tone build (4x MA859 and 4x 1s1588). Would either of these be suitable to sub in for the 1N914's that are on the BOM? I have those too but the allure of "special" diodes is real!
Please advise!
Many thanks

What are the Fv of each type?

Suggesting...
Diode switch with asymmetrical (3) or symmetrical (4) mojo-diodes / none / 2 x 1N914.

@SillyOctpuss took the time to measure those 2 diodes. The MA859 appears to be closer voltage drop to a 1n914.

@SillyOctpuss took the time to measure those 2 diodes. The MA859 appears to be closer voltage drop to a 1n914.

Thank you @BuddytheReow and @SillyOctpuss!
Would this suggest that the MA859s could sub in for all 4 of the 1N914s?

Hello!
Just putting the finishing touches on a glory hole PCB here.
It just occurred to me I have some left over NOS diodes from a king of tone build (4x MA859 and 4x 1s1588). Would either of these be suitable to sub in for the 1N914's that are on the BOM? I have those too but the allure of "special" diodes is real!
Please advise!
Many thanks
1N914's have been sustituted with 1N4148's for Donkey's Years!

OK I experimented and found that the BOM recomended 1N914 diodes actually sounded best to my ears! The mojo parts really made very little improvement. The 1N914's seemed more "even" for what thats worth.
Thanks so much community!
I always come back to 1N914s and red leds I try this that the other, one green one red, bas33 etc…then I listen and think dang those red leds sound so good. 😂

Back