Distortr Subs switch cap question

bluedmc777

Well-known member
IMG_5460.jpeg

C5 is 820n and I don’t have that value…closest I have is like 750n or so. SBP charges 6 buck for a pack of 10 of the 820n and I’m likely to never use that value again. Will I be able to notice much difference with the 750n. Are there any other suggestions, other than making it a bass pot, that you guys recommend?
 
If I was in your situation I'd test all of the 750nF caps I have and use the one closest to 820. A 10% 750nF cap at 825nF is still in spec.
 
Is 825n not a rather large cap to begin with? Seems like that’d be VERY bassy. I’m going to socket it regardless. May even consider turning it into a pot the more I think about it.
 
What is determining the cut off frequency? Is it the 1M AND 5k1 resistor?
Reactance of the cap. It's not discussed in pedal circuits much because... Math?
It's why larger caps let more bass through. In over simplified terms, the smaller the cap and the lower the frequency, the more said frequency looks like DC--or in other words; the lower the frequency the higher the impedance on that frequency. There's capacitive reactance and inductive reactance. They work in inverse, again, oversimplified. Inductors pass DC while blocking high frequency AC proportional to their value.
 
Back
Top