Dunlop DVP4 Mini Toe Switch Mod

TucsonSean

Hello Everyone,

After searching and finding nothing in the small DVP4 sized form factor with a toe switch, I decided to mod a DVP4 for a toe switch. I wasn't sure if it would fit but once I had the pedal gutted, there was plenty of room. Its a tight squeeze for the switch and jack as I didn't want to offset the switch. Maybe I'll look for a smaller jack at some point but currently it works extremely well.

This new addition went onto my pedal board with my newest creation, another triple pedal with a Tyrian, Malachite, and Doxie and yes, I added a Little Green Scream Machine in place of my Kliche Mini. It seems a better fit drive-wise with the modified Doxie and Malachite. Also I was able to add on my Plexi in a box pedal (a la a modified Mofeta) through the second fx loop. I am extremely happy with all of the tones that I can get from this setup. Four analog amp-in-a-box tones and a whole plethora of effects in a fairly compact setup.

-Sean

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Overall.jpg
    Overall.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 82
I’ve been considering the hybrid digital analog setup for a while. That’s a clean looking board

Funnel,

Thanks. Its taken some time but I am really happy with this setup. I have been working on this type of system since I got an HX-Stomp and realized I wanted more buttons and upgraded to the Stomp XL. The amp-in-a-box type pedals allow me to still have the feel of a real amp with all of the dynamics available and the cab sims coupled with them sound really great. With a dual cab setup, it really opens up the possibilities.

This type of setup has also allowed me to use the Poly Pitch shifting function to play down/up-tuned songs with many of the effects still being available as I use only cab sim and no amp sims. Now that I have started using the second FX loop, I can have a whole other set of amp pedals if I so choose. If you look at my previous triple pedal builds, they have all spent some time on this board and will probably make the rounds again. This has turned out to be a very versatile setup. I would definitely recommend this type of setup.

Sorry for the long post. Just a lot of great things to share with this type of setup.

-Sean

I appreciate the long post. Im still deciding exactly what I would want out of this type of setup and which amp sim/multieffects unit would best suit my needs.

Funnel,

Thanks. Its taken some time but I am really happy with this setup. I have been working on this type of system since I got an HX-Stomp and realized I wanted more buttons and upgraded to the Stomp XL. The amp-in-a-box type pedals allow me to still have the feel of a real amp with all of the dynamics available and the cab sims coupled with them sound really great. With a dual cab setup, it really opens up the possibilities.

This type of setup has also allowed me to use the Poly Pitch shifting function to play down/up-tuned songs with many of the effects still being available as I use only cab sim and no amp sims. Now that I have started using the second FX loop, I can have a whole other set of amp pedals if I so choose. If you look at my previous triple pedal builds, they have all spent some time on this board and will probably make the rounds again. This has turned out to be a very versatile setup. I would definitely recommend this type of setup.

Sorry for the long post. Just a lot of great things to share with this type of setup.

-Sean
Can you link where you ordered that switch from please?

This is the switch I used:

Mouser part no.: 691-110PM-OFF

This switch has 6-8lbs of actuation force. works great for this application. You have to really WANT to activate this switch which is better than the other alternatives of 2lbs or less actuation force.

You will also want to use this bumper to provide cushion and flex in the final travel of the footboard stoke:

McMaster-Carr Part Number: 95495K819

-Sean

Sean,

I'd like to clone this mod for my HX Stomp board but I have a couple clarifying questions for you:

1. Do you happen to have a schematic? I think I can determine your wiring, based on the picture, but I'd like to be sure.

2. Any particular reason why you chose to utilize a "momentary on" switch as opposed to a simple on/off?

3. How do you have the parameters set in your Stomp XL? I'm wanting to run mine like a standard wah pedal to engage and disengage the block, with the toe switch, and the sweep controlling the expression level.

Hi DeMan_85,

1. The wiring is very straight forward. I have attached the schematic to help in sorting this out.

2. There is no need for a on/off switch as the software provides the latching so a simple on-(off) switch works. You can use a latched switch but you need to change the settings from unlatched to latched in the utilities sub-menu.

3. I will have to look at my settings again but if I recall correctly, when I plugged in the modified pedal, I only had to change which pin the expression pedal was connected to in the utilities sub-menu. Don't quote me on that though as I'm not in front of my pedal-board at the moment to verify that statement.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

- Sean

- Switch and Pot Connections to Stereo Jack.jpg

Hi DeMan_85,

1. The wiring is very straight forward. I have attached the schematic to help in sorting this out.

2. There is no need for a on/off switch as the software provides the latching so a simple on-(off) switch works. You can use a latched switch but you need to change the settings from unlatched to latched in the utilities sub-menu.

3. I will have to look at my settings again but if I recall correctly, when I plugged in the modified pedal, I only had to change which pin the expression pedal was connected to in the utilities sub-menu. Don't quote me on that though as I'm not in front of my pedal-board at the moment to verify that statement.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

- Sean

- View attachment 62999
Sweet, thank you! I didn't realize you could change the settings from latched to unlatched; still learning the software. And, the only reason I ask is because I have a latched switch I can utilize. I'll give that a go and replace it later if necessary.

I look forward to hearing back on your settings. Also, I'm assuming you're running the DV4P into the EXP 1/2 on your HX unit? Let me know.

Cool setup! Couple ?'s:
How much does that board and case weigh all together? Doesn't look too bad.
Is this all you would personally use? Do you just plug into the house, or bring cabs and power amps as well?

Hi DeMan_85,

I just looked and the HX Stomp manual and it recommends using momentary switches. I could think of several reasons why and why not to but I would just follow their recommendations on that.

To set up the exp pedal/toe switch do the following:
Enter Global Settings > Preferences
Set Exp/FS Tip > set to Footswitch 4 and Exp/FS Ring > to Expression Pedal 2

Or

Set Exp/FS Tip > to Expression Pedal 1 and FS Ring > to Footswitch 5.

Let me know if that helps.

-Sean

Hi Sturdag,

The case with lid weighs in the range of 15 to 20 lbs. Not too terrible but still not extremely light weight. I was more interested in protecting all of my pedals and minimizing all of the connections to the board: 1 input, 1 output, and 1 power cable. I made my own power supply for the HX Stomp and all of the pedals that resides inside of the board. The case is sturdy though I don't know how it would hold up to a drop test. This design isn't a flight case and I am trying my hardest not to test that out any time soon. :oops:

Yes, this is the only thing I take. We run in-ear monitors so I have no need for a separate line-out to stage monitors even though I have to ability to provide that. I can also send out a stereo signal but currently run everything mono. I was happy to get this system put together as I was always fighting with the other musicians about their stage volume and FOH sound volume (I am also the head sound guy). Everything is so much easier to mix and the sounds are always spot on and everyone can finally be heard!

Let me know if you have any further questions.

-Sean

@TucsonSean is that schematic you provided for modding the Dunlop volume pedal? I just picked up the 5 last week and it would be awesome to add a on/off switch to that

@DeadAirMD, yes, this schematic was for modding the DVP4 but I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work for the DVP5. Same requirements apply if you want to add a toe switch.

-Sean

Hi DeMan_85,

I just looked and the HX Stomp manual and it recommends using momentary switches. I could think of several reasons why and why not to but I would just follow their recommendations on that.

To set up the exp pedal/toe switch do the following:
Enter Global Settings > Preferences
Set Exp/FS Tip > set to Footswitch 4 and Exp/FS Ring > to Expression Pedal 2

Or

Set Exp/FS Tip > to Expression Pedal 1 and FS Ring > to Footswitch 5.

Let me know if that helps.

-Sean
Yes, very much so. Thank you! I also read the HX Stomp manual and saw that they recommended the momentary switch. So, I ordered the part you linked from Mouser and it arrived earlier this week. I will be performing the mod over the holiday weekend and will report back when I have everything set up.

Back