Electrovibe LDRs

neiltheseal

Hi everyone. I'm building another Electrovibe for a friend since I like mine so much. I have bought nely all of the parts when I realised that I do not have the recommended LDRs.

Would any of the LDRs available at Tayda work in this? The ones available are below

KE-10720
KE-10715

Alternately if anybody knows where I can get the correct LDRs cheaply in Australia that would be awesome. Trying to avoid $20 postage. I know Mouser has them but I don't need $60 worth of parts just yet to justify the free shipping.

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone. I'm building another Electrovibe for a friend since I like mine so much. I have bought nely all of the parts when I realised that I do not have the recommended LDRs.

Would any of the LDRs available at Tayda work in this? The ones available are below

KE-10720
KE-10715

Alternately if anybody knows where I can get the correct LDRs cheaply in Australia that would be awesome. Trying to avoid $20 postage. I know Mouser has them but I don't need $60 worth of parts just yet to justify the free shipping.

Thanks in advance!
what did you use for your last build?
or maybe you could test out those tayda options in your first build and see how it goes?

(also in australia and fully understand the shipping cost bullshit)

i ended up caving and got 9203 LDRs from banzaimusic (for electrovibe pcb i haven't got yet).

unfortunately we're fucked for local options here. and even if it was a local/aussie webstore you're still gonna get slogged $13.50 or some bullshit anyway. might as well just try tayda or elsewhere.
like how the fuck does it make any sense that tayda can ship a giant box from thailand and it still costs less than attempting to ship anything from an australian-based merchant

Last edited:
what did you use for your last build?
or maybe you could test out those tayda options in your first build and see how it goes?

(also in australia and fully understand the shipping cost bullshit)

i ended up caving and got 9203 LDRs from banzaimusic (for electrovibe pcb i haven't got yet).

unfortunately we're fucked for local options here. and even if it was a local/aussie webstore you're still gonna get slogged $13.50 or some bullshit anyway. might as well just try tayda or elsewhere.
like how the fuck does it make any sense that tayda can ship a giant box from thailand and it still costs less than attempting to ship anything from an australian-based merchant
In my build I bought some 9203s from Mouser which worked as I was doing a large order and shipping was free, although it seems they are out of stock right now.

You are right, since I do have a working example I might test out some of Tayda's LDRs.

Shipping costs suck here. Tayda is the only place that's reasonable (or mouser with large orders). I've bought from a few local places and they charge just as much as overseas for shipping and generally take longer.

Shipping costs suck here. Tayda is the only place that's reasonable (or mouser with large orders). I've bought from a few local places and they charge just as much as overseas for shipping and generally take longer.
sure does.
tayda is amazing. last week, i made an order on tuesday just before midday. it was delivered 2 days later on thursday (no painted enclosures in order helps too i guess)

i dont understand how these local merchants (diygp / pedalpartsaus) survive when they just cant compete (or dont want to)

For posterity I'd like to say that the 5528 LDR work completely fine in the electrovibe.

I made a version for my friend with 5528s and a random lamp from Mouser (8097 12v .06A) and it sounds great. I initially tried it out with a red LED and that sounded pretty good too.

I am yet to do a side by side comparison but it sounds like a vibe to me, the differences are minimal. I think you could totally get away with an LED here. In fact the LED had a really pronounced thump, way more than the lamp.

I might post a side by side video, mostly because I can't decide if it is worth buying the correct LDRs and lamp. Also future people might be interested (I would have been).

For the sake of clarity, mine is not exactly the Pedal PCB electrovibe, but my own version shamelessly stolen lovingly borrowed from Robert's schematic and layout. Although it's essentially a part for part replica except for the removal of the second speed pot.

I made most of the mods in big monk's thread:
  • R12 is 5.1m
  • 2.2uf cap for c8 (or really 2 x 1uf caps in parallel)
  • 2.7k for R15 and R14 (or a 4.7k and 6.8k in parallel)
  • R4 is 4.7m
  • R2 is a 10k trimpot (NFI what it's set at)
I made a few mistakes which may be worth noting:
  • Q11 - works completely fine if this is backwards
  • LT1054 and TC1044 are completely replaceable here, even if you connect pins 1 and 8. Although strangely TC1044 produces about 1v less than the LT1054 and there is a small amount of voltage on ground with the LT1054. This somehow doesn't really affect the circuit.
  • C26 - also works completely fine if this is backwards
  • C7, 8 and 9 - will NOT work with 47uf caps (how did I make this mistake?)
  • it will work fine with nearly every other 1uf cap replaced with a 47uf cap (I am so embarrassed, how did I get this wrong?)
I made a lot of other mistakes not worth noting, mostly with PCB design, however it works so who cares right?

Back